Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

where is out of bounds

Posted by: user235379 | Thu 16th Feb 2012 20:08 | Last Reply

i hope the link works (never tried it)

my question is this, whilst teeing off from the 14th tee, how far right can you go and still be in bounds?

in the winter league the tee has been brought forward quite a lot and now many are going on a direct line to the green, some have a slice and leave the ball on one of the 2 greens or somewhere inbetween and claim it as in play, as there is only the 1 line of OB markers it's open to debate

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/gunniglealan/out%20of%20bounds/golf.jpg" style="width: 639px; height: 457px;" />

Last edit : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:00
re: where is out of bounds
user235379
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 20:12

Is the link working?

if it is you will soon see why i didn't get any of my pictures on Tony Hart's wall

user235379
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 20:26

that's my view but the main ones for doing this are the low h/caper's, and whilst not taring all low h/caper's with same brush, when they play off 3,4 and five you can't tell them much

user246626
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 20:40

Would agree with Darren. Anything over the path is out of bounds.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:00

image updated to show inline

user40826
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:01

Cracking drawing by the way.  

I may be completey wrong here, but doesn't the OB end at the last white post?  So the ball would be in play?  

There must be something written on the scorecard about the OOB rulings, surely.

user235379
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:14

chris, when being played from the summer tee i doubt anyone can go past it so it's never been an issue but in winter it is.....and thank you

user79118
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:23

If the last post is the end of the out of bounds then where is it drawn parallel too? By that I mean the out of bounds to the right would extend all the way up to the green if extended parallel with the back of the tee but if it's parallel with the green then anything past the last marker is inbounds. Paint the cart track white and have it all OB to the right.

user40826
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:25

For me, its in play, whether its Summer or Winter.  If the course designer intended it to be OOBs it would be marked.

Just ask the Pro, he'll tell you straight away or just agree when you start with your mates, its either OOBs or not.

Good bail out for the pushed drive though.

user16106
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 23:24

Nothing on the back of the card ?

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user235379
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 06:04

dave, no, theres not, i hope for next year they sort it out

user40826
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 06:58

My final verdict:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/loudleyther/golf.jpg" style="width: 799px; height: 571px; " />

Last edit : Fri 17th Feb 2012 06:59
user127691
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 12:58

Chris's sketch looks correct to the rules but I very much doubt that that was the intent of the OB.

The OB is clearly in place to protect the players on the adjacent holes. I doubt any sane course designer would offer a risk reward shot of carrtying 2 adjacent greens to shave a bit off the corner, I just worry for the saftey of some poor old timer holing out on the 11th green on a Wedenesday mornig when the yound lads are bombeing off the tee right in his direction.

I would imagine if you brought it up with the commity they would agree, becasue of the shortened condition of the course something would need to be done about it. This is clearly a very dengerous shot being played by some of the memebers, and I'm sure the club wouldn't want to be forking out on insurance claims over it.

user127691
Reply : Fri 17th Feb 2012 13:01

Actually looking again the only problem you may have is that making the back of 13 and 11 out of bounds would penalise any shots through the back of the green on those holes. It looks like the red square could have been the intended OB obvioulsy not expecting anyone to be able to carry the corner and therefore not putting players in danger on the next holes.

I would still suggest discussing it with the commtiy, they may decide to move the tee back to take the shot out of play again.

Last edit : Fri 17th Feb 2012 13:02

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top