Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Would you if you could?

Posted by: user410273 | Thu 16th Feb 2012 11:19 | Last Reply

If you had the skills and the bottle would you go on the tour?

If you weren't good enough for the tour would you be a club pro?

I'm in two minds about the first question. 1) I would have liked to chance my arm to see if I could compete at that level but 2) I'd hate the living out of a suitcase thing and not being home to see the kids grow up.

As to the 2nd question. I've seen first hand how quiet it can be in a pro shop, midweek, in the depths of winter. And then there's the snotty customers. Think I'd give it a miss.

So would you if you could?

re: Would you if you could?
user369251
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 12:20

Would love to do either, a career in something you love should prove quite rewarding... I think what would frustrate me as a club pro, is not having as much time to play as I would like

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 13:21

To be good enough to be in the top 100 (yes only 100) on tour would be an avenue I would love to take having sampled it already.

But!

If the PGA got there finger out and realised that Club Pros also want to play Golf Tournaments then I would prefer being a Club Pro, they are now on about £26,000pa basic, rather than the £2000pa retainer they used to be on. They relied on the profit from the shop.

A Northern PGA Pro with a Yorkshire base can enter about 10 Tournaments a year so in reality they are Shop Keepers and not Golf Pro's unless they get invites to the 50+ Pro-Ams.

TheLyth

user410273
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:09

Lyth, the £26k basic is pretty decent but I'm not sure there's many clubs in the northeast at that level yet. And son no3 was getting about £9k 3 years ago at a time when the average in the northwest was £17k.

user235379
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 18:56

yes to both, i can dream

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top