Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

the dreaded slice.

Posted by: user437159 | Tue 14th Feb 2012 15:42 | Last Reply

Recently i have developed a slice - not for the first time either. does anyone know how to get rid of it/ causes of it?

re: the dreaded slice.
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 16:10

There are a few things that cause you to slice the ball.

Check your alignment, set-up and that you are not coming over the top with your downswing.

Go down the range/practice ground and double check everything I have mentioned.

Swing your golf club at a slower speed than you would normally do, and see how your shots go then.

If they are good then increase the speed of you swing and hopefully everything will be back to normal.

Russ

user38216
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:20

Darren, tongue in cheek it may be but thats the worst advice ever and will make matters worse as it will only make the swipe across the ball more agressive!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 21:50

I played with a guy who would constantly slice his tee shots.

His solution was to aim well left and the ball would come back towards the fairway.

Only problem was we were playing the Priors course and the 11th tee is parallel to the M25.  There is a large fence to catch any wayward tee shots.

This chap measured out two club lengths and put his ball as far back in the tee box as he could.

His tee shot missed the top of the fence by a couple of inches, went out towards the M25 and then came back towards the fairway.

If the fence had been any higher he wouldn't have got over it!

Russ

user430457
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:11

Liam,

i just seem to have cured my slice! I also experimented with aiming left but occassionally would hit a corker and the ball would go dead straight but of course, way off left. Dangerous stuff!

What I've done is flattened and slowed down my takeaway but then I really accelerate through the ball and with greater rotation than i used to have previously. I've also made a concious attempt to hold my position at follow through.

All of this really worked for me today.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top