Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

All cards submitted or stratch score will be applied!

Posted by: user351506 | Tue 14th Feb 2012 11:18 | Last Reply

My club has come out with what i think is a ridiculas system whereas if you do not submit your scorecard EVERY time you play your score will go down as scratch (70) and affect your handicap accordingly.

I am being told this system is coming in all over the world i was wondering if anyone else's club is doing this or anyone has heard of it?

The annoying thing for me is my friends an I often play cart for cart or foursomes or greensomes so we do not all finish the hole once it is won, this not only speeds the game up but makes for a good game, and of course at the end of the game we do not submit the card because we all don't complete holes. but now with this system we either all have to finish the hole or suffer the fate of having a scratch score thus affecting and giving a false handicap.

Thoughts from the more experienced players would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris.

re: All cards submitted or stratch score will be applied!
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 11:36

I've never heard of this.

If you play matchplay how can you put a scorecard in?  Just say you were playing matchplay.

What about playing a practice round, you might use more than one ball, etc

I cannot see it becoming something that all clubs will use.

Russ

user99350
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 12:08

Chris, has your handicap secretary got too much time on his hands? Like Russ I have never heard of this. I realise that most clubs do have a minimum no of competitive cards you have to put in but this makes no sense at all. And even worse is open to abuse. Say for example someone who has his eye on the annual medal, after he has qualified in the monthlies he has plenty of time to get his handicap higher. 

user16106
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 12:08

Chris, Im not a more experienced player but is you club not just wanting everone in official comps , monthly medals etc to return a completed card. Rather than NR and keep handicaps high.

Im not a member of a club so I dont know how the hierarchy runs things.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user338942
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 12:15

Sounds a bit daft to me.  I think he is maybe frustrated at those (and I'm sure every club has them) who play 3 or 4 comps a year playing off somewhere in the 20s and come in with 46 points.  He certainly should take that out on the Average Joe playing in each Sunday comp as well as 2/3 times a week.....

user123290
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 15:10

Sounds a bit daft to me and my club have made no mention of any such thing.  Besides how will they know when you play and if you don't enter cards? Most of the time at my club I just turn up and go straight on to the course so no one would know if I didn't submit a card as they don't always know when I play

user410273
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 15:57

Are they not just trying to ensure all comp cards are returned?

If its for every round you play I'd be telling them to reconsider or risk losing no end of members for such a draconian ruling...

user355541
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 17:29

Why don't you tell us which is your club and tell us exactly what has been said. Like others, I think you may have misinterpreted what has been said.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 17:34

Chris,

You have got the reaction on here because we are UK CONGU lead. If your club is going down the US route then all it means (I think) is that you can't adjust a roliing Hcp without rolling cards so a number needs to be entered.

I'll ask my friends in the US how it works and get back.

TheLyth

Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:39

OK Chris,

I have got this from the USGA website under Handicapping and is Section 5-2.

b. Posting a Score When a Complete Round is not Played

If 13 or more holes are played, the player must post an 18-hole score. If 7 to 12 holes are played, the player must post a nine-hole score. In either case, scores for unplayed holes must be recorded as par plus any handicap strokes that the player is entitled to receive on the unplayed holes. (See Section 4-2 and 5-1a .)

Example: A player with a Course Handicap of 30 stops playing after 16 holes because of darkness. Hole 17 is a par 3 and is the number 18 handicap-stroke hole. The player will record 3 (par) plus 1 handicap stroke for an X-4 on hole 17. Hole 18 is a par

It appears that the US system wants scores submitted for Match-Play games too.

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:40
user355541
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 21:14

David

I suspect, as you suspect, that the language of the post suggests the origin is from over the pond (cart for cart?). Bur why would he be surprised that all cards should be submitted - that is how the American system works.

Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 22:05

James,

Chris seems to be in Kuwait and they may be just changing to follow the US set up.

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 14th Feb 2012 22:06
user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Feb 2012 18:49

I can't see how this will have any effect on those people wanting to keep their hcaps high or the same? Surely if your playing a practice round you just record a score on the card that equates to a net par (or net bogey). If you have 72 hours then this can be worked out in the comfort of your own home!

user123290
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 08:14

It won't solve any issues though in relation to people who want to increase their handicap or keep it high. They can simply record and return a made up score card.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top