Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lefty playing right handed

Posted by: user425195 | Mon 13th Feb 2012 11:03 | Last Reply

Hi All, I've been playing just under a year. After a couple of moths off with a rib injury, I'm now really struggling with a hook that's killing my game. I'm getting regular instruction, but can't shake it. I've read a couple of articles about lefty's playing right handed, and the hook appears to be a constant issue. Any ideas about how I can deal with it. Also any thoughts on starting again and going left handed?

re: Lefty playing right handed
user52922
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 11:36

Your regular instruction is obviously useless. Playing right handed with your left being dominant should help you more than hinder you as you will be leading with your stronger forearm.

The fact that you are hooking (Or is that really pulling) tells me that your right side is dominant.

user425195
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 19:58

John, To be fair, he has had a lot to sort out - made a small breakthrough tonight 'though with a slight change to my grip. My main concern was whether I made a mistake not going left handed. Allthough I bat (cricket) right hand, I play tennis etc. left handed. Opinion appears to be split, but I'm happy o go with your view that I have an advantage.

Last edit : Mon 13th Feb 2012 19:59
user16106
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 19:59

Greg 1st of all I agree with JP & I cant believe a coach can not solve a simple problem like a hook. if this is a real problem then what I would suggest is use yr 3 wood. Tee the ball fairly low. This would ( I BELIEVE ) make the draw "hook" more difficult so you may even get a slight fade.

Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 20:13

I would solve it in less than ten minutes for nothing.

user425195
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 14:54

Thanks everyone - I'm happy to hear that no one thinks that going back and starting again left handed is the answer, just start to have doubts after a bad evening on the range. I was better on Monday, so I'm sure I'll get there - Just need to keep calm and carry on!

Last edit : Tue 14th Feb 2012 14:56
user38216
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:27

I'm left handed but have worked hard taking my left arm out of the equation other than for balance to get right side dominant, this is the only way to get those pure iron strikes working (occasionally)!

user425195
Reply : Thu 16th Feb 2012 12:13

So I should both lead with my dominant left arm, and work hard to take my left arm out of the equation- got it (I think)indecisionhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif" title="indecision" width="20" /> - Isn't that why this game is so damned addictive!

user425195
Reply : Wed 9th May 2012 10:26

Hi Neil, Like you I am gradually straightening out my shots, but still get inconsistent results.

The only time I've tried a left handed club was once, before I 'officially' took up golf and took a left handed club at a driving range assuming that would be what I need, but it really felt wrong, so I picked up a right handed club and never changed.

Maybe based on your experience I should try again?

user43166
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 12:50

Walk up, hit it hard, hit it long...

user130832
Reply : Fri 11th May 2012 13:15

I know and have played with may people who play with their 'opposite' hand. I am naturally right handed and play left. Just do not think about it and all the normal instructional advice is relevant. I know a guy who is left handed and playes right and he can down 18 cans of beer and play to 6 handicap. My hero. ha ha.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top