Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

most important three putting distances?

Posted by: user437159 | Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:16 | Last Reply

what do you think? for example i think: 3ft, 6ft and 10ft.

re: most important three putting distances?
user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:19

The shorter the putt, the greater the respect.

Last edit : Sat 11th Feb 2012 19:20
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:11

One should never miss inside 3ft, be expecting to hole the majority inside 10ft, and be looking to get all long puttschips inside 4ft.

TheLyth

Last edit : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:12
user80078
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 14:43

I'm not sure ditance is the most crucial criterion. I would choose an uphill straight six footer over a three foot downhiller (across slope) every time. I agree wholeheartedly with John as a missed short putt can have real consequences in attitude (at least in my case). Thankfully the short putt is one of the most improved aspects of my game. Thank goodness!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 16:19

I would say that there were only two distances to worry about.

The first one would be those putts close enough to the hole that you should get the ball in the hole.

All other putts would be ones that I would like to get close enough to the hole so that the line above comes into play.

This way you would only ever two putt, with the odd long one going in every now and again.

There are many variables that come into play when putting so the better putter the less mistakes you will make.

I've just come back from the GolfShake Portugal trip and the greens over there are much faster than I'm used too!

We played Gramacho on the first day and you could make a putt from about 15 feet, the ball would roll towards the hole, then as the speed died the ball would turn away from the hole and finish about six feet away, even though you made a good putt there was still a chance you would miss the next one!

Russ

user24437
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 23:58

And you missed Alto Russ!  Probably the quickest greens I've played on with some of the cruelest pin positions possible.  If you were past the pin on the 15th or the 18th then the put downhill was going of the front edge however gentle you hit it.  Great fun...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 13th Feb 2012 20:38

Yes Tim I did indeed miss Alto.  From the way you guys were describing it it must have been one hell of an experience.

I would say all the greens in Portugal were tricky, except for Pinta, which I would say were much slower than last year.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top