Titleist Reveals New Vokey Design SM9 Wedges
Titleist has revealed its new Vokey Design SM9 Wedges, engineered by Master Craftsman Bob Vokey, who has sought to deliver the ultimate in shot versatility, distance and trajectory control, and maximum spin; the keys to great wedge play.
Bob Vokey said: “It sounds simple, but having the correct wedge and knowing when to use it has a direct impact on scoring performance.
“The most important thing for golfers at every level is to know when and where to use the variety of wedges in their bag. That can be achieved by being properly fit based on swing and style of play, and understanding the roles for each.”
The new SM9 wedges are Vokey’s most versatile, accurate and forgiving yet, offering six grind options and a total of 23 different models ranging in lofts from 46° to 62° for precision fitting.
FINDING THE CORRECT GRIND FOR BEST CONTACT
Through years of research and design, Vokey has determined that the optimum strike position on a Vokey Design wedge is between grooves two and five. This produces a lower, more consistent flight with higher spin. Shots struck above this area tend to launch higher and fly shorter with less spin.
Bob Vokey added: “It is important to fit your wedges to your swing type, style of play and course conditions.
“That selection process should begin by determining the proper grind for the shots you hit most. The correct grind provides the best turf interaction, contact and shot performance."
FORWARD CENTRE OF GRAVITY PROGRESSION
Improving upon the groundbreaking Progressive Centre of Gravity (CG) design concept originally introduced with the Vokey Design SM8, the new SM9 pushes the envelope again, with even more innovation.
- The new SM9 maintains the innovative forward CG - a position that actually hovers in front of the wedge face to produce a solid feeling wedge that squares up at impact for more consistent results
- The CG has been raised vertically by adding weight to the topline design, where a tapered pad at the back of the toe helps align the CG properly without being visible from the playing position
- Progressive hosel lengths are also used to help raise the CG in the higher lofts, particularly 58°- 62° • The result is improved distance and trajectory control, and increased stability for more consistency
REFINED SOLE GRIND OPTIONS
The ultimate in optionality, SM9 continues to feature the most complete lineup of grind, bounce and loft options, allowing for more creativity and consistency, and giving players of any level the ability to create multiple shots into and around the green.
Developed through decades of work with the best shot makers in the game, Vokey’s six tour-proven sole grinds - F, S, M, K, L and D - allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type (steep, neutral, shallow), shot making style (sweeper, digger) and course conditions (firm, neutral, soft).
NEW PATENTED SPIN MILLED PROCESS FOR MAXIMUM SPIN
A new Spin Milled cutting process in the SM9 models, which includes tightening allowable tolerances, produces consistently sharper grooves, wedge after wedge, resulting in higher, more consistent spin.
- Spin Milled Grooves are the gold standard in groove cutting precision - meticulously engineered and cut to the edge to maximise spin and shot control. Each groove on every head is 100% inspected for conformity to the rules of golf
- Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximises spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is also applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel, making it the most durable groove in golf
- Each groove is individually cut based on loft and finish with the lower lofts (46°- 54°) designed with narrower, deeper grooves and higher lofts (56°- 62°) with wider, shallower grooves
VOKEY WEDGE SELECTOR
The Vokey Wedge Selector tool on Vokey.co.uk helps golfers select the proper loft, bounce and grind options for their swing and course conditions. Vokey recommends that golfers visit their local Titleist fitter to confirm the results. Experience the Vokey Wedge Selector tool at: https://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-clubs/wedges/selector.
STOCK SHAFT AND GRIP
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 / Grip: Tour Velvet 360 White
AVAILABILITY AND PRICING
Vokey Design SM9 wedges are available for pre-order through Titleist Authorised Retailers worldwide from February 17th, arriving in-store on March 11th, 2022 | SRP: £169
What do you think? post your thoughts and feedback on the Golfshake Forum: https://forum.golfshake.com/