Dustin Johnson Smashes 439 Yard Drive at WGC
World number one Dustin Johnson is renowned as being one of the games' biggest hitters, but his effort on the lengthy 16th hole during the first round of the WGC Bridgstone Invitational at Firestone caught attention as he smashed the record books to strike the longest drive on the PGA Tour in four years with a tee shot of 439 yards.
Last year, GolfNewsNet listed the longest tee shots recorded on the game's biggest circuit since the advent of ShotLink made judging distance accurately possible.
The 10 Longest Drives in PGA Tour history
- Davis Love III -- 476 yards, 2004 Mercedes Champ, Round 4, No. 18 at Plantation Course at Kapalua
- Jeff Sluman -- 473 yards, 2003 Bob Hope Chrysl, Round 2, No. 14 at PGA West (Palmer)
- Charley Hoffman -- 467 yards, 2009 Texas Open, Round 3, No. 1 at LaCantera GC (Resort)
- Dustin Johnson -- 463 yards, 2011 Deutsche Bank, Round 4, No. 7 at TPC Boston
- David Duval -- 454 yards, 2002 Bob Hope Chrysl, Round 5, No. 13 at PGA West (Palmer)
- Retief Goosen -- 452 yards, 2003 Mercedes Champ, Round 2, No. 18 at Plantation Course at Kapalua
- Craig Perks -- 451 yards, 2002 Buick Classic, Round 2, No. 12 at Westchester CC
- Gary Woodland -- 450 yards, 2012 Hyundai T of C, Round 1, No. 18 at Plantation Course at Kapalua
- Phil Mickelson -- 450 yards, 2013 WGC-Cadillac, Round 1, No. 17 at TPC Blue Monster at Doral
- Craig Perks -- 449 yards, 2002 Phoenix Open, Round 1, No. 13 at TPC Scottsdale
Previously, Carl Cooper hit a 787 yard drive in Texas 25 years ago. WHAT?! It hit a concrete cart path and ran on over 200 yards past the green of that hole. 64-year-old Mike Austin hit a tee shot of 515 yards back in a senior tournament during the 1970s, taking advantage of high altitude and estimated 35mph helpig winds.
So, there are several answers to what is the longest drive in the game, but Dustin Johnson offically added himself to the list.
Be part of the action with a selection of unique golf tournament experiences, from playing in a pro-am with the stars to watching the action at golf’s most illustrious events. Whether it’s the Masters or The Open, The Ryder Cup or WM Phoenix Open, build your own bespoke package with the experts at Golfbreaks.com.
What do you think? leave your comments below (Comments)
comments powered by Disqus