Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dunlop LoCo Balls

Posted by: user71987 | Mon 28th Jan 2008 08:57 | Last Reply

Howdy,

just thought i'd share a tale with you.

About 18months ago I was playing off 20, still loosing balls on the way round and not having luck holding greens with my approach shots. So i decided that paying silly money for balls was counter productive for my bank balance.

One trip later to Sports, Soccer i had 24 Loco balls for £8.09! bargain.

fast forward to now.

dropped 6 off my handicap, can knock balls 300yds and hold the greens well even with some spin now.

Moral (I will only use loco balls now) Try them, you may like em!

Si

re: Dunlop LoCo Balls
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 09:41

When I first started (two and a half years ago) the pro who taught me recommended Dunlop LoCo's and sold me three sleeves for £10.  When they came so cheap recently my brother-in-law bought some and loves them.  Lad I played on Saturday was glad when he lost his (last) Callaway ball so he could start using his LoCo's again!

user80414
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:04

My girlfriend bought me a box from the local sport world for £4 for 15!!!! they are the loco motion. 

I havent used them on the course as yet, but they do feel nice off the face of my wedge when i was chipping in the back garden.

Ill give them ago and let you knowhow i get on.

Just a question, what balls were you using before? 

user71987
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:20

Titelist PTS SoLo balls before hand.

I was reading the TG balls edition and was surprised that the LoCo's were not in it. Still, from the analysis of the reasearch the idea seems to be, play with what you like!

I'd better go and buy a few more boxes just to make sure!

Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:32

I read that too.  Interesting read.  I tend to use a Pro V1 unless I'm using my driver (BIIIIGGG slice) as I love the feel of them when I'm putting.  If I'm going to use my driver I use a Titleist NXT as they are low spin.  Problem with them is they feel hard and have no feel when putting. 

I need a low spin ball that feels soft when putting.  Any suggestions?

user71987
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:42

well you can't really go wrong with the Srixon AD333 or Callaway warbird apparently.

if you have a slice i would stay well away from top end balls untill you can get it under control. not just because of the money issue but they are designed primarily to be used "for players that can generate back spin". alas us mid to high players can only get side spin.

heres a tip. if you want to try lots of different balls, got to the local pro shop at a course, they usually have a bucket of loads of different ones. buy a couple of each, and try them. its probably the easiest way without giving your bank manager a heart attack

Si

Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 10:59

Good idea Si, might well give that a try. 

user80414
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 11:14

Chris Try the warbirds, they are great off the driver and have a soft feel cover, be warned they are Hot and will add a few yards to your game, not usually a problem off the tee but  overshooting the green can get on your bugle!

However once you are used to them, they are very good.

user48641
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 11:20

the dunlops are good and i have used them before plenty of times (plus they are a real bargain) but i guess it depends on how you really evaluate your game eg: u want high spin, distance ball etc (i dont spend enough time playing to notice all this) im currently using some nike balls that my son got from a comp he played in a while back - they are working quite well at the moment and are definately getting me a few extra yards................

but in saying this ive just thinking about something.... in competitions would it be a good idea to make all the people use the same type of ball ?

user71987
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 11:24

i've got to admit i've not thought of that one before.

but then you would have to say eveyone uses the same clubs, glove etc.

In team sprots such as tennis or football, every one has to use the same ball. but with golf being such an individual game i can't see the same happening. lets be honest

you play the course, not your partner

Si

user9368
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 13:20

Are they the crazy long type ?

user71987
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 13:41

crazy slice for you mate!

user9368
Reply : Mon 28th Jan 2008 20:04

Tis a power fade & you know it

user80414
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 14:02

Just to let you guys know.

Ive now played 2 rounds with the Bargin bin Dunlop Loco montions, and i have to say that they play well and have a nice feel off the face of the club (slightly harder than the warbirds), they seem to have quite a bit of spin in them and i was able to stop them well enough (although the greens were very soft so this has to be taken into account).

One thing i will say is that they do seem to cut up quite a bit and over 18 holes i got through 3 balls. one of which was due to a hammering from a bunker but the other 2 seemed to cut up quite badly (and this was without thinning any shots).

In all i think that they are very good, for the price they are exellent. Now they will never be a Prov1 beater, but they are well worth a look for players with a mid to high handicap (like me). 

Cheers

Danny 

user71987
Reply : Sun 17th Feb 2008 18:28

Danny,

Glad to hear that you are getting on with them. apparently LoCo Stands for Low Compression so should give a fair amount of Spin (with the carzy long versions having a bit more carry) (no i don't work for Dunlop)!

wth regards to cutting up, mine tend to last one round then i bin it as it gets a little "feathery".

All i can say mate is you must have some serious grooves on your clubs! new toys by any chance?

user80414
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 11:08

Have to Admit that i spoilt myself and bought some Vokeys as a Xmas prezzie to me! Other than that im using standard TM 300 forged irons so nothing to severe.

user77921
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 16:42

After all these glory stories, I have a sudden urge to go out and buy some new golf balls. Last week I had the same urge but for some new golf clothes, if this carries on, then im gonna look like a new man for Donnington!!

user71987
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 18:58

Luke,

My wife is under the assumption that i cannot take up a sport unless there is a silly amount of stuff to buy.

She is dead right.

And i have spent a fortune on clothing for the NvS Comp.

danny,

the Vokey's will cut up anything, Rugby, tennis, bowling balls not surprised you get through that many.

user48641
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 20:34

Simon, which team you playing for again mate? with all that new clothing u gonna make us all look bad !! lol

user9368
Reply : Mon 18th Feb 2008 22:04

The  winning team of course

user71987
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 13:08

i may still look fairly bad!

user9368
Reply : Tue 19th Feb 2008 13:10

Again

user71987
Reply : Fri 14th Mar 2008 17:40

You are very welcome.

Reply : Fri 23rd May 2008 12:21

I'd avoid lake balls Adam.  The performance varies so much depending on how long they've been in the water. 

I get all of mine from e-bay, used and graded.  You can get some real bargains and I got 50 Pro V1's that looked like they'd been shipped direct from Titleist for 80p a ball, including shipping.  They do mixed bags on there cheap and that might give you the chance to try different types for a good price and not be bothered about losing them. 

user24437
Reply : Fri 23rd May 2008 13:37

Chris.  I know where there's half a dozen decent lake balls that haven't been in the water that long!

Reply : Sat 24th May 2008 23:49

Due to admin inactivity, there's no evidence to prove it!!!

user35357
Reply : Fri 4th Jul 2008 22:10

I bought a pack of topflite xl's from tesco a few months ago and have really loved them. £4 for 15. Stopped using my warbirds and ad333's. Dont like the reconditioned balls that look like new as have been repainted which will only effect the performance.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top