Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

why is golf club membership so expensive

Posted by: user608387 | Mon 6th Oct 2014 01:35 | Last Reply

Ive have only recently this year took up golf (which I enjoy a lot) and been playing different courses.so decided I would join a club for nxt year. I looked at clubs in my area cleveland and couldnt believe how much membership for year is ranged from £600-£1200.why is it so expensive? Surely I would think that would put a lot people off joining clubs.and for new players just starting out this would put u off too..clubs should be trying to get newbmembers in and playing at decent affordable prices I would of thought. After seeing the prices I am now in two minds to join one club or just keep doing what I do n play different course and pay the green fee.if anyone knows a club that has offers on for new members ib cleveland area I would b gratefull

Thanks Craig

Last edit : Mon 6th Oct 2014 01:35
re: why is golf club membership so expensive
user246701
Reply : Mon 6th Oct 2014 06:58

Well I guess first of all you have to say what you consider to be acceptable.

Many courses work on the principle that they need enough money from membership to continue to function (ie that they are not making profit), so all the income goes back into the course by employment of the staff, and reinvesting to keep the course running and looking presentable enough to play.

If less money is brought in, then less work can be done on the course, which leads to members getting upset about the quality and leaving, which results in a very quick downward spiral.

If you play often, then membership (even at the prices you quote) makes it very affordable to play, and would greatly reduce your outgoing if your someone that is playing once/twice a week. The more the cost goes up the more likely the course is better maintained

Last edit : Mon 6th Oct 2014 06:58
user451055
Reply : Mon 6th Oct 2014 07:39

I have joined loadsa gyms over my time with membership ranging from 50-100 quid a month. They have all the gym facilities plus swimming pool, sauna,steam room etc. I used to go about 6-8 times just after I joined and then probably 5 more times during the year. This put the per visit cost over a year between 45-90 quid. When I took up golf and joined the golf club I actually pay more like the equivalent of £120 a month but I play on average 3 rounds a week plus I practice at least 1 other time and visit for social occasions too. Practice balls and facilities are free to use for members. I worked it out over one year that I am paying about £6 a visit. I haven't even factored in all the other courses I can play at vastly reduced prices because as a club member you can enter other club open days, also it doesn't factor in the reciprocals. Joining a golf club has been the best value for money I have have ever spent. I played Cleveland golf course this year in an away match and I absolutely loved it. I'm not sure where that it on the membership scale but it is a fabulous links course.

Last edit : Mon 6th Oct 2014 07:39
user608387
Reply : Mon 6th Oct 2014 13:24

Thanks guys.i know wat you are saying.just seems alot for a new starter.i have managed to find a package from teesside golf club for 21-30yr old which is only £350.00 this was typw of deal I qas looking for so from 1st april I think I will be a member of my first golf club excired and hopefully get my handicap down

Last edit : Mon 6th Oct 2014 13:24
user418412
Reply : Thu 9th Oct 2014 11:46

Best of luck Craig. Having been playing properly around 3 years I can testify that membership is worth if you play enough. I also benefit from a 'colts' deal and pay by DD around £60 a month which is just about within my limited budget. The thing you'll need to look at is what your membership includes and what you plan to do as a member. I'm on my 2nd club and the friendly atmosphere is great, I really enjoy playing loads of games with a good bunch of people and entering comps but this comes at an additional cost that you may have to think about. Midweek comp is £1 plus around £5 in sides bets, saturdays are £4 singles and £5 pairs, sunday are £3. Theoretically that means an extra £80 a month on matches! I would also have to pay extra for range balls, so I don't and just practice out on the course when it's quiet. Bottom line is playing golf seriously is just expensive I'm afraid. I'm not trying to put a downer on it just making a point. I'm enjoying it more than ever now, just want my game to develop so I can start competing and winning back some of the money

Last edit : Thu 9th Oct 2014 11:46
user338942
Reply : Fri 10th Oct 2014 13:25

Its a good course Teesside. Good mix of challenging holes and a few where its easy to get some points back. Had plenty of drainage work done over the last few years as well, so you can see they are looking for continuous improvement.

In terms of membership costs, its £550 for me at Blackwell in Darlington which isn't too bad. What you'll find is most places will cost you per about the same as 2 weekend rounds. If though like a lot of members you want to play twice a week or more you'll be quids in.

Last edit : Fri 10th Oct 2014 13:25

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top