Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

North vs South 2011

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 21st Jun 2011 09:27 | Last Reply

Hope you all enjoyed this year's event.   Well done to the North and I look forward to 2012.

A news write up will follow shortly, plus I hope to canvas opinion on some 2012 changes soon and finally don't forget to add a review of the Abbey course on Golfshake for 2011.

Sunday Results: http://www.golfshake.com/golf/view/6165/scores/

Monday Photos: http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/8625/North_vs_South_photos.html

Follow up feedback: http://www.golfshake.com/forums/view/8622/North_v_South_what_a_great_2_days_golf.html

Review the Abbey course: http://www.golfshake.com/course/view/13680/Abbey_Hotel_Golf_Club.html#reviews

See you all next year.

Regards, Darren.

Last edit : Tue 21st Jun 2011 09:32
re: North vs South 2011
user16163
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 09:57

Ivan

that competition was won by myself with a gps recorded drive of 298yds (uphill)

and i will tell you before they all chirp in............after a 56 wedge to the back of the green i then 4 putted

yes you read correct i 4 putted!!!!!!!!!

shocking i know but in my defence it was all downhill to the pin and after watching 1 of my playing partner from 2 ft further away nearly putt it off the front of the green i somehow left it 8 ft short and then had a shockingly fast downhill putt which shaved the hole and ran 8 ft past then just missed the uphill putt back

2 things for me to learn here, 1 be more accurate with my wedges and 2 if you are not getting close then leave it in the right place to avoid putts like that.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 14:45

I can confirm that Darren's drive was 298 yards.  Used my SkyCaddie to measure my ball distance (265 yards for those who want to know) and I also checked the longest drive marker.

Darren wasn't alone in taking a few too many putts on that green, it's not stroke index 1 because it's easy!

Long par 4 with a drive between two large trees, one either side of the fairway.  Then an uphill approach shot to the green. 

I managed to reach the green with my second shot.

Left my ball right of the flag but as Darren has said it was a downhill putt all the way.  One of those where you stroke it too hard and your off the front of the green. 

I three putted from my position and was glad to score a five on that hole.

My travelling companion Nikki Lewis was only ten yards behind Darren.

Russ

Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 15:56

I would like to thank Stuart Govan for helping me in my everlasting quest to find that extra golf ball.

He managed to quite skillfully put one of his shots in a clump of trees.

Having seen an opportunity to find some golf balls I was over there like a black cab driver after a fare!

Only found four balls, two decent and two for the practice ball bag.  Then I managed to find Stuart's ball!  Not that that one was a priority as I'd have to give it back to him, so I can't count it as a found ball!

The long drive competition might be an interesting idea for next years event.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 16:13

Careful Ivan, Lorna is easily riled..

user16163
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 17:15

Ivan

can you not clearly see the lady wearing PINK (gayboy)

although he is a true northener with his LEEDS Utd shoes on coolhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/shades_smile.gif" title="cool" />

Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 17:48

I'm sure Martin only wore those 'John Daly' trousers and the light red polo shirt as a challenge to everyone for next years competition.

Somebody will have to beat that outfit!

But be warned, Martin told me he had already seen his new outfit for next year and it was much better than what he was wearing this year.

The search is on!

Also, just out of curiosity, how bad must a golfing outfit be before the club decline you the right to play?

Russ

user16163
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 21:58

IvanYes there is a lady in the pictureHer name is lorna and is a very capable golferShe is pictured kneeling next to the big guy in pink and the fashionista in the union jacks

Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 22:22

Ivan, at no time was I pulling your leg or trying to offend.

I'd love to see you at one of these events, and I'm certain other people would like to see you there as well.

Lorna is a good golfer from what I've heard.  Never played a round of golf with her but everybody who has has said the same thing.

Maybe at next year's event you could go down on the driving range and hit a few long ones!  Mind you the driving range was a big small when swinging a golf club.  So using one of your long drive drivers might need to be taken from the grass in front of the bays!

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top