Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

North v South - what a great 2 days golf

Posted by: user127343 | Mon 20th Jun 2011 19:50 | Last Reply

Well I hope you all had a safe return journey.

I really enjoyed the 2 days golf and in case you dont know the North won again 9-5.

Of course its not about who won it just great to be part of it for the first time.

Special thanks to Darren and and the victorious capt Kevin and my very able partner on the day Lorna - we won our close game.

Heres lookin forward to NvS 2012,

regards,

Michael

re: North v South - what a great 2 days golf
user26096
Reply : Mon 20th Jun 2011 20:02

michael

it was a great two days good weather and great golf and even better company.

i am proud to have been chosen to captain the north team the only regret was i completely forgot to thank darren millichip for his help and support as my vice captain and next years winning captain.

regards kevin

user289859
Reply : Mon 20th Jun 2011 20:39

Next year...hopefully!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 12:35

Really enjoyed my first North v South and well worth the wait for me to finally get to one of these events.

Great to see some old face (and boy, were some of them old!  ) and to meet some new people.  It will be nice to be able to put a face to a name (even though I'm terrible at remembering names!) on the forum.

The organisation, hotel, golf course and weather were perfect, my only downside was the driving range, what happened there?

Having played a few of these GolfShake events I am surprised that we never seem to get a full complement.  This was great value for money.  The BBQ on Sunday night was good and the breakfast on Monday morning was superb.

I'm sat here now praying that when they arrange the date next year I won't have something else on the same weekend, you know like a wedding, christening, funeral, etc. 

Played both days with some really nice people and for once I managed to play some decent golf!  Don't worry I won't let that happen again.

Russ

user115085
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 13:33

It was really good this year - the course was set up nicely and the greens were good - such a contrast to last year. The new 2nd hole is really quite smart - the new 15th is in bad shape, but once bedded in and they have a green it could be another good matchplay hole.

Thanks Stu, John and Kev for a fun Sunday - Stu.....please stop teeing off with 9 irons on long par 4's!

Cheers to my partner Phil yesterday and to Matt & Chris who beat us 2 & 1. We had a fantastic match which had a full range of golf on show - the consecutive par's Chris scrambled from off the greens of 13 & 14 I think ultimately won them the match (not to mention Matt's occasional 25 footer for par!). Unfortunately my handicap defying start was not enough when reality kicked in on hole 8.

Cheers to all involved in organising, be interesting to hear what you have in mind for next year Darren.

Looking forward to next year already (it may take that long to fully recover!). 

Last edit : Tue 21st Jun 2011 13:54
user24437
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 13:40

Have to agree Russ, a great 2 days even though I was suffering before I even got there! OK, I had a bit of a rubbish round on Sunday, but good company with you, Nikki and Chris (eventually!). �I even managed a 268 yd drive on the 4th (gps'd).�

As for Monday, what a cracker of a game we had. Kev and Lewis were tenacious to say the least, and kept at us right up to the 17th and a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result. �It just goes to show that that level of competiton sometimes drags our games to a different level - as a pair they managed to shoot around 6 or 7 over par which is pretty impressive for a couple of 15 handicappers and Martin and I had to card around 2 over to win!

Good as ever to see some veteran N v S competitors as well as some new faces, nice hotel and course (except the 15th, which was frankly awful) and a great atmosphere all round - fiercely competitive on course but warm and friendly off it. �It was even a bit too warm on Monday at times (at one of Darrens events!).As ever thanks to Darren for the brilliant organisation as well.

If you've never tried it, do it. �You won't regret it.

Last edit : Tue 21st Jun 2011 13:42
user118394
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 14:50

graet weekend as usual.enjoyed both the hotel and course which was in a lot better nick than last year(apart from the 15th)

thanks to my playing partners gregg,dean and stu sunday and john,andy and rich monday.

can t wait for next years.

user12389
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 15:49

Hi to All,

Would just like to echo all the comments above. A great weekend, hotel, course and all the organising that goes with it. Thanks to the Captains of both sides, especially the South, and special thanks to Darren for organising a great weekend.

Had a great two days of golf, my playing partners or Sunday were great as were my opponents on Monday. Taken to the cleaners by a pair of Northerners, but a good day. A mention must go to the outfits of the North team, very nice Red Shirts, but what about those trousers. You just could not wear those south of Watford.

Once again, thanks to everyone who played, organised and in general, just turned up.

user16163
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 17:27

thanks for the compliment on the very fashionable trousers john

last year 2 of us this year 4 of us maybe next year there might be 8 of us lolololol

it truly was a great 2 days of golf complimented by ( i dont know how darren r managed it) fantastic weather.

would like to thank Darren for his organisation of the event again, also to my sunday platers Darren, Paul and Phil (maybe one day you might hit your drive as far as mine lolololol),

i would just like to mention what excellent company John Pettitt was on the monday match as well as Darren Atkinson, thanks to Malc for partnering me again.

the course this year was in great condition but like everyone else has said "except the 15th"

it was a pleasure playing under Captain Kev and comiserations to Kevin Hewitt

and finally a little mention to 2 North v south virgins Paul Hughes and Chris Millichip who actually were the pairing that actually got the point that retained the cup.

a very enjoyable 2 days of golf that once again a big winner was the event itself

hope to see you all next year

Darren M

user52922
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 19:17

Well said, Daren, the event was most certainly the winner, as always. Great company from all the old Northern adversaries, but I do honestly feel that you should be a little more lenient towards us.

user114464
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 21:10

I would like to echo everyones posts above, a truly great weekend. As for my match on Monday congratulations to Phil & Adam who just pipped Bob & myself on 18th. It was a great match with never more than 1 hole in it but we had a cracking laugh all the way round. Nice to see everyone again & looking forward to next year already.

Well done Kev on leading the North victory & thanks to Darren for organising a fantastic 2 days.

Well done also to Dean Wood for a superb round on Sunday, it was a pleasure to play alongside.

user299945
Reply : Tue 21st Jun 2011 23:34

Hi

What a great event.  My first ever NvS and it will definitely be on my must do list next year.  Great to meet up with people from previous events and also meet new people and make new friends.

Complements all round to everyone who organised everything (Darren especially) and well done to the North.

No complaints from me re the 15th - I had my shot of the day there and pulled us back into the game - for at least another couple of holes anyway.

Thanks again

Andy (Alan and other alias's)

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 07:28

Well said Alan, and any other names you might be using this week!

Russ

user14009
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 10:00

roll on next years comp! cant wait! thanks to all the heirarchy for the organizing once again and well done to the captains and vice captains! had a great game on the sunday - well done Mike with yr inspired putting to bring us back into the game fm 3 down - for some reason we were determined not to lose lol sorry Dean - and Ray!!!!!!!

Darren think u will find that it was our game that made the win certain for the north!!

user16163
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 10:23

@Lorna

your game made it that we were certain of the win but paul and chris's game made it 7 points and a definate halve match which meant the north retained the cup, thats all i was saying

nothing against anyone on the north team we all did superbly well to win again (although mr perry got a bit of a a*** whipping)

user355304
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 15:53

Hi All

I had a fantastic weekend with great company. It was made even better watching Rory win the U S open. The hotel and course were near perfect for such an event,the 18th in particular lending itself to some great moments of hi jinx!,(Mr Ley).

Can't wait for next year and special thanks to our opponents on monday for being such good company,who knows,next year we might give ya a dog lisence!

user24437
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 18:37

Ah, told you so Nikki.  Remember the conversation we all had on the 2nd tee on the Sunday?  Yes, it's competitive, but it's played in great spirit all the time - and it does become addictive!

user127343
Reply : Wed 22nd Jun 2011 21:46

Thanks for your kind comments Lorna. You played great yourself after we both had a nervous start but as you say we were determined to prevail. Them 2 long putts were more by luck than judgement but you gotta take the breaks when they come your way.

Modestly you never mentioned your 8 iron to 2 feet on 16 which was a magnificent shot.

However it was the event  that was the real winner of course-hope to see ya`all again next year,

regards,

Michael.

user14009
Reply : Fri 24th Jun 2011 21:30

twas on the 17th mike - cos was dicing  - again - with that huge bunker on the right  and had the trees infront so just had to go for it! wahay! nice o hime to keep his back to us when he went out of bounds thro the fence wasnt it!!!

user77012
Reply : Sat 25th Jun 2011 15:57

Got to be honest not a patch on NvS 2009! cheekyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/tounge_smile.gif" title="cheeky" width="20" /> can't quite put my finger on it why. cryinghttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/cry_smile.gif" title="crying" width="20" />

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 26th Jun 2011 15:29

You had to bring up our whooping

Good company from the guys on Sunday (Tim, Nikki and Russ) when I eventually arrived, and again on Monday (partner Graham and opponents Nikki and Andy).  Got to say Graham and I did very little wrong, but were up against a pairing that worked well as a team and a man on fire in Andy.  They won almost all of the 7 holes they took from us cleanly without us giving them anything.  I'm happy to lose to a pairing who played as well as they did.

Thanks to Darren and the team for organising once again, and to Kev and Darren in their roles as capatain and vice captain.  Sorry we didn't do our bit but the important bit is Team North winning AGAIN!!!

That's 4 N v S comps for me and once again I'll be back next year (wife and christenings permitting!).  A competitive but friendly spirit, this is the one comp that matters to everyone, no matter what their alliegance.  I wouldn't miss it for anything

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top