Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

North vs South Format

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 10th Feb 2012 16:59 | Last Reply

As mentioned last yet happy to faciliate a slight readjustment in the format if that is the consensus.

Obviously if over 2 days and including foursomes than requirements are that players need to play both days (80% did in 2011) and be mindful of only playing half a round (foursomes/alternate shot).

Discuss and post views below    .............

re: North vs South Format
user52922
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 17:26

I have never looked upon foursomes as a half of a round of golf. It is a fomat that requires much more thought than just worrying about ones own game. Your partners strengths have to be played to, not your own. This is a format that really does bond a team, mark my words.

Last edit : Fri 10th Feb 2012 17:27
user26342
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 18:29

Darren,

foursomes on Sunday & singles on Monday. I don't think you should restrict players to have to play both days, obviously you need the correct numbers on each day but you could have some people who can make the Sunday & not the Monday & vice versa.

to start with I would see who can commit to both days & then see where the numbers are falling short.

i think that over the 2 days this format could make the N v S one of the best yet.

user52922
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 18:34

I agree with you JohnF, this is a wonderful opportunity to move this event into a more meaningful format, just like the Ryder Cup.

user410273
Reply : Fri 10th Feb 2012 22:03

Love foursomes. It really concentrates the mind and plan the hole.

user21179
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 09:20

if we could arrange it to be over both days rather than a practise on the sunday it would be great.

It would be more difficult for you darren,  because as you stated not everyone can make it both days.

Sunday foursomes (which i have never played by the way) and monday singles has my vote, but only if it can be arranged that both count towards the final score even if you dont play both.

If it is only the monday round that counts then i would have to go with 4 ball better ball as it is a team event rather than singles.

Like mr Flood, i wouldnt want to exclude anyone who could only make 1 day but what a chance we have to move the event on by changing the format.

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 09:45

Just make it a two day event and see how it goes in respect of numbers. Those that normally miss the Sunday are those who feel they can travel up on the Monday thus saving the hotel expense.

user38216
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 13:22

Just make it 2 days and see who signs up, i'm in.

user69191
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 15:46

I think quite a few people would begrudge paying for a round of golf and playing the foursomes format. 4ball betterball on Sunday with singles as the final round as per the Ryder Cup the way to go.

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 18:05

Paul, 4 ball better ball is not a way to decide a match, and you probably know that. Foursomes is not half a game and I can only think that it is a fomat that you have never played to say that.

user69191
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 20:54

We play quite a lot of greensomes and foursomes games through the winter at our club John and I do enjoy playing them. I don't think they're half a game either but I do think a few people would. Singles is the way to decide the match in my opinion. Betterball matchplay is the way we've played it every year isn't it?

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Feb 2012 22:56

Betterball matchplay is a lottery and does not always  give the right result, for reasons I could go into here, but will not.

County play foursomes and singles, as did the Western Daily Press inter club league in the West Country.

Don't you think that it is about time we got away from this silly format to something that will actually mean something.

user11501
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 12:58

i as a previous winning north captain i would recommend a sunday foursomes and monday singles format. I too disbelieve the myth that foursomes is on half the game. It is not, you just hit half the number of shots, but have input into your partners shots and vice versa.

this is NOT half a game. I feel this would be an improvement on an already great event. Lets look at ways ot taking the event forward, because if you stay still and dont look for change you surely go backwards.

If people cannot make the sunday foursomes or choose not too then those that do can get the event underway assuming equal participants per team and the singles on the monday can be in fourballs no problem.

user410273
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 20:47

Personally, I think foursomes is a great format, and ensures that both the players in the winning pair have to play well. In fourball only one player in a pair needs to play well to win. Why not give it a go for one year and if its hated it can be dropped for the following year.

At the end of the day I'm happy just to get a game.

user52922
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 21:25

The only true format for a pair to play against a pair, Brian. You know it and I know it.

user38216
Reply : Sun 12th Feb 2012 21:30

100% agree, lets make it fourball better ball, 2 rounds of foursomes and singles in 2013, now that would be a comp!!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 09:00

The winner is always the event and the enjoyment we all have. 

To get the consensus and thoughts direct I've created a quick survey, PM hopefully over your way shortly so you can complete the online form.

Thanks.

user77012
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 09:47

I to think foursomes is a great competitive format and one i have played many times. It's certainly not half a round and it hightens your thoughts in doing well for your partner as well as the team ( theres no saying well this holes down to you partner, your more of a team) , but as a compromise to peoples objections to less playing you consider Greensome forsomes. For those that don't know the format you  both tee off and then pick the best drive to play the rest of the hole using alternate shots. This may help take the pressure off the players with less competitive experience.I'll be there what ever's decided unless the bar shuts at 12 ! then I'm afaraid i'm a no showlaughhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor362/plugins/smiley/images/teeth_smile.gif" title="laugh" width="20" />

user209804
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 11:15

The idea of playing both days sounds great. Previously I have done just that. However this time it overlaps with two days golf in Wales. I shall be coming straight to the Abbey after the Sunday game and staying over. A bit late in the day to change the format this year as others may have similar commitments. Another year great but dates arranged published earlier might help.

user225233
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 11:45

I'm with Bob in Wales so same applies to me

user26342
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 16:13

Couldn't agree more David.

Some people are scared of change :@

user26342
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 17:37

There maybe some middle ground here. Why not split the Sunday into 2 halves. Those that want to play foursomes go out in the morning followed by those that ONLY want to play 4 BBB. That way it's a bit more like the actual Ryder cup & everyone gets to play their preferred format with both halves going towards the total score.

Now I can't see anyone having objections to this.......................???

user52922
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 18:06

Great for you, John, you live on the course.

user38216
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 18:56

JP - I think I may have cracked it. Can't help on the venue but what about 2 rounds of foursomes on Sunday, keeping the pairs the same but the opposition different. Singles on the monday? - thoughts.

Last edit : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:17
user52922
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:24

Sounds super to me, David, but the logistics oif this would be pretty difficult to set up (a) with the hotel and (b) the extra money they would probably want, not forgetting a very early start for most of us southerners.

I realise I am showing my age in even mentioning foursomes and singles, but this was always old school thinking. 4 ball betterball and stableford were considered mickey mouse formats and were never taken seriously by serious golfers. Of course, times have changed but that does not make it right.

user38216
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:32

Yes, the down side is that it would inevitably cost more and the hotel would be accommodating!  I agree that singles matchplay and foursomes are the truer test of skill, ability and in the case of foursomes, consistency, skill and team work, nothing like asking your partner where he wants to play his next shot from on a par 5 and placing it on the button (now and again!)   I've voted on my preferred format which is the fairest way and I will go with the majority and look forward to a game whatever the outcome.

user77012
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:38

Your not showing your age JP we still play in Team golf Foursomes in Glamorgan and Singles in Gwent ,I had the pleasure of playing both formats for two seasons at my two clubs. Greensomes format is used by our Halletts teams and they're 18 hcp and above! tough format for them. Then our Wayfarers use the Greensome foursomes and they ar 10- 17 hcp. Even a few of the national pairs comps are still foursomes, and rightly so.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Feb 2012 19:44

I have suggestted on the other thread that we split the Sunday with foursomes and singles matches both played and 4BBB as per the current format on Monday.  I think that would give a good compromise

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 15th Feb 2012 17:00

Thanks for feedback via the online form, just waiting for a few more to come in and will then publish tomorrow.

Regards, Darren.

user26342
Reply : Wed 15th Feb 2012 17:42

That's when the $#!t will hit the fan

Darren you do realise that your damned if you do & damned if you don't!

user21179
Reply : Wed 15th Feb 2012 17:51

Do we have an expected time tommorrow Darren ?

Dont want to miss this.

user356537
Reply : Wed 15th Feb 2012 19:44

I'm a little late in joining this debate but have been watching this thread (and the other one) with some interest.

I haven't played in the North v South match previously but was hoping to do so this year subject to free spaces and a clear diary - I still don't know when it is being played.

At my club we play a couple of foursomes competitions every year.  It used to be more but they are so unpopular these days they are not well supported.  I watch a lot of foursomes golf being played - my son plays the county boys team and they always play foursomes in the morning.  I watch our club's men's scratch team playing foursomes in an inter-club county knockout competition - The Bainbridge Shield.

Where am I going with this?  The common factor is that it is mainly at the elite level only that foursomes is still played.  And for good reason.  Foursomes is a brutal game and not, in my opinion, well suited to higher handicap golfers or social golfers.  Surely, you want to enjoy your golf not live in fear of putting your playing partner in the trees or leaving him with that testing 5 foot putt for double bogey!  Foursomes is about endurance, not enjoyment.

Foursomes isn't so bad if you have a regualr partner and you know each others games quite well but to just throw people together is, in my view, a recipe for disaster.

If the concensus is that Betterball is not the best option then fine, but please play greensomes as opposed to foursomes.  It's a much gentler and more enjoyable alternate shot game.  You could even go for the mischevious version - Bloodsomes - where the opponents pick which drive the other pair have to hit!  Just don't go for foursomes, please.

Also, the suggestion to play the two ball matches in fours is something that doesn't work that well in practice and will make life really slow.  I run the South Warwickshire Junior League which should be played as singles matches.  Sometimes, the kids join up if they get stuck behind a slow fourball.  Inevitably, when they do, they end up taking longer to play than the fourball they are following.  All sorts of arguments can ensue about players from the same team helping the other out - for example, by showing the line of putts to their team mate.  In my view, best to stick to singles!

Just hope I can make it now!

Richard

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top