Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Custom Fitting

Posted by: user112727 | Wed 11th Jan 2012 20:55 | Last Reply
<p>     Looking to purchase a new driver for my 40th birthday in a few weeks.&nbsp; Will definitely go down the custom fitted route, but does anyone have any recommendations of where to go in the South East as I am based in Surrey.</p> <p>     Not drawn to any particular supplier so open to all brands.&nbsp;</p>   <p>     Thanks</p>  <p>     Rich</p>    <br />  &nbsp;
re: Custom Fitting
user12389
Reply : Wed 11th Jan 2012 21:48

Hi Rich, If your interested in Callaway, they have a custom fitting warehouse just opposite Chessington World of Adventure. Last time I went, it cost £50 (pre bookable) but if you bought a club, or clubs costing more than £100 you got your £50 refunded. They do not sell clubs, but you come away with all your fitting requirements and you can go to your local (or cheapest) supplier to purchase.

user52922
Reply : Wed 11th Jan 2012 22:35

An expensive exercise with no guarantee of success. New drivers do not do anything better than a secondhand one can do.

user321680
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 10:29

John most custom fitting is free and although it doesnt guarantee success surely it gives more chance of success if the club is fitted to your size and swing?!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 10:36

Definitelty as merit.  Golfshake tested out last year, Adam is 5foot 8 and Phil is 6foot 4 so they could never use the same clubs!

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/1698/Custom_fit_session_at_The_Belfry.html

user356537
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 10:50

The great thjing about the Belfry (and other similar facilities) is that you are not tied to a manufacturer and can try a variety of different makes of clubs.  What comes as a very pleasant surpise is that the Belfry are also pretty good on their pricing for clubs - not something you would possibly expect!

Last edit : Thu 12th Jan 2012 10:50
user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 16:51

John most custom fitting is free and although it doesnt guarantee success surely it gives more chance of success if the club is fitted to your size and swing?!

So we are banking on chance, then John D. You do realise that the likelihood of you getting the right shaft for you is pretty slim. Your swing speed will be measured and this will put you into a varying speed band with differences of something like 20 mph before you get in to the next swing band. Now if you are not exactly at the speed band to fit a regular or stiff shaft then you will  have no chance at all of getting the exact shaft for you.

user26537
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 17:02

I was once told by a Golf Pro that golf is a game of variables, if you can remove or reduce one of the variables it can only be a good thing.  Be that the same ball, the same clubs, the same course.

That same person has 15 putters.

Do we really expect a new set of clubs, driver, hybrid, fairway wood to transform our game ?  In truth you have as much chance of improving your game with a new club as you have of adding 10 yards with a new "all improved" tee.  That does not stop us looking at our bag of sticks and thinking that some shinier ones would be better. 

If you have the money and can afford it then go for it, but if you can reduce the variables by custom fitting then all's the better.

user80078
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 17:12

As a large part  of our golf game is played between our ears, I can only assume that if one thinks that custom fitting is going to provide the key to better play, then it probably will (up to a point). With most higher handicap players (myself included) I don't believe that our game is constant enough to make custom fitting that significant. When one holds a club and has a few hits then you quickly get the 'feel' if it is for you or not. Just my thoughts on the subject. No offence intended chaps.....

user321680
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 20:12

John P yes shaft flex is one of the aspects of custom fitting but not the only one - there's also shaft length, lie angle, grip size etc.

On shaft flex itself, yes they'll measure your swing speed and advise on a particular shaft. if you're obviously in one band they'll advise that particularly shaft if you're near a shaft boundary then if the fitter is worth anything they'll let you try both and see which gives the best results.

Yes there's a chance you'll still pick the wrong shaft but that chance has to be decreased instead of just picking up a second half club off the shelf and thinking to yourself "I fancy a stiff shaft in this club" with absolutely no idea if your swing speed suits that shaft.

The argument that no custom fitting is better than a full custom fitting is a nonsense.

user52922
Reply : Thu 12th Jan 2012 20:38

You are entitled to your opinion. John D, but I am afraid I just do not agree with you. Throughout your golfing experience you will try many clubs, some will work straight away, some won't, but a good swing can hit anything.

There has not been a club made that can hit the ball for you.

I don't know how you see the game, but every tee shot is different, requires a different trajectory and shape as well as a difference in tempo. No custom fit can cope with that lot.

user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 15:50

You have a vested interest, Alex, but I have not yet come across any amateur player that has shown any improvement with a custom fit.. They might say that they have, just to justify there expenses but I do not believe it.

You, being a professional can play with anything that is piut in your hands,m so that alone completely poo poos the idea of any substantial benefit.

I attained scratch just by buying off the rack in the very early sixties. No such thing as a custom fit then.

You have no statistics to back up your claims, all you are interested in in selling clubs and the new way to do this is to offer a so called custom fit. Even then the clubs will arrive needed a lot of adjustment to get to measurements you took in the first place. You are wasting your time trying to convince me as I know better.

You are just one of a long line of PGA produced professionals attempting to make money because of a lack of skill yourself. Why on earth do you honestly believe that you have a far greater knowledge of this game and how it is played than me.

user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Feb 2012 18:58

Matt, your slice was not down to your clubs but your swing, not forgetting that when we last played you told me that you had been having lessons and I would see a marked improvement. To say I was disappointed, is an understatement as I was really hoping that you had moved forward.

I could have put you right straight away but I felt that was not the time. Next time perhaps.

Incidently I have made a mock up of your website, which I believe is a lot better,

user52922
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 16:35

It was you, Matt. The new clubs will have given you a bit of confidence perhaps, but it is you who has to swing them. Well done.

Last edit : Mon 20th Feb 2012 20:05
user21179
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 20:35

I am not sure what to think about custom fitting anymore.

Since being fitted by titleist in November my game ( or should i say my ball striking ) has slowly deteriorated.

I have played ok a couple of times, but even then it has been down to scrambling.

I have titleist mb irons, that are 3/4 inch longer and 1* more upright than standard. They have x100 shafts and 5 layers of extra tape.

All this is boring i know, but it is what was advised during fitting.

The problem is that i just cannot consistantly find the middle of the club !

I shank one right and pull the next one low and left.

I know that it is my swing and not the clubs that are to blame, but here is the problem

I took my Cobra 2400 ixh irons out today and shot a 74 (equal lowest score) for 40 pts.

I missed the middle of one 7 iron all day, which cost me a double by finding water on a par 3.

My regular playing partner commented that it is the straightest he has ever seen me hit the ball.

I know that a lot of it is down to the confidence i have with my old clubs, but i am begining to think there may be more to it.

I really want to persevere with the custom fit blades as opposed to the off the shelf improver irons, but is becoming more difficult to justify.

user52922
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 21:07

Five layers of tape, Eh!, Tim. must be like holding a cricket bat at that thickness. Golf is a finger grip and one layer of tape is enough. Why did you have the x100 shafts. You do not swing hard enough for a stiff shaft, If that is custom fit then I despair.

Great score with the Cobra's though. Keep it up.

user26342
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 21:10

Tim,

the problem with bladed clubs is they offer no forgiveness & unless you hit the sweet spot every time will punish you big time.

saying that can you make sure the tittys are in the bag for the NvS

user77012
Reply : Mon 20th Feb 2012 22:13

Tim , cracking round mate well done.  I suspect your cobra's are set up around D0 or 1 swing weight and your Tittys will run about D5 or 6 thats a huge difference to get use to Tim , and 5 layers of tape ? just fit a mid size?

user11501
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 11:41

Off to Ping on Thursday for a fitting for some new irons. Yippee !!!

user26342
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 12:22

Mart,the cast colour on the new i20's make them look like kids clubs!

user430469
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 16:49

Well at least they are not called rocketballz...   John P - I have a question: If custom fitting (in all its current forms) had been the norm when you started playing golf, can you 100% honestly say that you would have still just gone and bought whatever off the rack?      

user52922
Reply : Tue 21st Feb 2012 17:40

Interesting and really hypothetical question, Joe.

We all only relate to the era in which we are born and progress and that is why my youngest son understands a multicultural society where I, was fifteen years old before I saw my first black man and have no time for what has happened in this country.

When I started playing golf, it was far different to now in many respects. The way it is played generally in respect of clubs and membership has gone backwards for whatever reasons. One learnt to play this game at a public course and when proficient then private club membership was sought.

There did not exist any of these new fangled USGA spec courses which, lets face it, are designed for professionals and not the average amateur player, hence their unpopularity, with me anyway.

Custom fitting is another method of taking money from punters used as a bait to aid ones skills. Everyone will swing the club at  completely different tempos throughout any particular round of golf so a stocjh standard swing does not truly exist and would be hard to measure accurately enopugh to say, without any fear of contradiction, that a particular shaft is what will suit you., bearing ihn miond that custom fits are not offering the conmplete range of alternatives, so that a perfect match can be made.

As you well know, I, of course do not subscribe to this, because I became a very good player very quickly with clubs off the rack in a pro shop, as did the majority of players in my early days. The reason for this, of course, is because all irons were blades and everyone soon realised that only a perfect strike was going to be good enough and therefore bothered to take the pain for the gain.

Today of course everyone expects the clubs to come with a guarantee of reducing handicaps.

There are nine different shots that can be played with every iron and each shot is produced by the skill of the player not the design of the club.

Shotmaking is now a dying art because of the readiness to adopt the manufacturers bull**** and use clubs that are not designed for these skills. Easy to use, maybe, but this is one of the main reasons why players who get into single figures just do not make any further progress. One cannot play the same variety of shots with the modern clubs as opposed to a good set of blades.

Joe, be my guest, go down the custom fitting route, spend your money on the latest and greatest and if you are successful then I will be pleased for you, but be prepared for a disappointment.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top