Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Buying advice please - new clubs

Posted by: user314672 | Sun 21st Nov 2010 20:08 | Last Reply

Hi Guys

After 10 years of playing a cpl of times a year and hacking around I have really got into the game this year, having a few lessons for the first time and playing more regualry. I am now looking to upgrade from my Howson DJ100's I bought for about £90 10 years ago, and get some fitted irons made.

I would appreciate if people could advise me the best way of going about buying new clubs from the place to buy & be fitted, the clubs to look for & the best time of year to buy.

I have 3 options for places to buy:

- Buy from the pro I have been having lessons from at the local driving range - V small proshop so limited selection available

- Buy from American Golf just down the road - with driving range facility

- Buy from Nevada Bobs also just down the road

My experience to date shows me Nevada Bobs are expensive, and with no driving range facility I reckon I should discount them, uness people here can recommend them highly?

Does anyone have experience from buying from American Golf - how good are they at fitting? Is there room with them to negotiate on price?

Im playing off about 22 at the moment, so would like a club that can help me progress my game as a high handicapper.

Can anyone recommend any irons I should try? My budget is probably £250 - £300, although would go to £350 if I knew they were the right clubs.

Can anyone also advise if there is a good time of year to buy? Now at the end of the season (but pre- chirstmas), or perhaps post Christmas in January sales? Presumably if I wait until next Spring I will be paying more for clubs?

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks in advance,

Adie

re: Buying advice please - new clubs
user314672
Reply : Mon 22nd Nov 2010 12:45

Thanks Andrew.

I am about 6"2" so I believe that fitted clubs are probably the best option for me, something which the pro who I get lessons from also agreed with when I mentioned it to him.

user50783
Reply : Mon 22nd Nov 2010 13:43

I restarted my golf career after a 35 year break and bought some ping irons second hand from a local pro, they felt nice and I could hit the ball quite sweetly, then I had a trip to Gainsborough and had them fitted. The final product is great and I know it's the operator where the problems lay as the equipment is spot on. Total cost £150

user314672
Reply : Mon 22nd Nov 2010 17:46

Thanks for the advice guys - would be keen to hear from anyone who has bought from american golf.

Im based in Southampton and unfortunately there isnt a direct golf place near me.

I notice a few of you are saying that for the money Im willing to spend I would be better going second hand. At what price would you say the decent clubs start at, ignoring craxy offers, which I dont think Im going to be able to take adv of as I want to get fitted properly.

user263996
Reply : Mon 22nd Nov 2010 20:15

i bought some pre owned  mizuno mx100 from amercian golf , choose them over nike , the guy in shop gave me £60 off asking price after a bit of bartering , also told me to go out and use the irons for a few rounds , if i was not happy bring them back  , he offered me full refund only to spend in shop or try other clubs, worked for me

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top