Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

A Load of Balls...

Posted by: user289859 | Sun 24th Oct 2010 18:35 | Last Reply

Excuse the pun-tastic title, but am after some advice with balls.

I don't hit a lot of greens from distance, so am always looking to chip the all on to the green, but can't find a ball that offers me good control to stop.

I used the AD333 previously and found I just couldnt get it to stop quick enough, so I bought some Z-Stars which were OK, but also could be expensive.  I also bought some Pro V1's which were good (though again, expensive) but everytime a hit went wandering in to the trees/bushes...i felt like I was contemplating a fair deal to the Titleist christmas party.

So, Golfshaker's...an affordable ball, that offers good control around the green. According to the Srixon website, the AD333 is good for me based on how far I hit my 6 iron, and everywhere seems to say it spins well,however, i assume thats on full length shots to the green...of which I dont hit many.

See my issue?!

Please help!

re: A Load of Balls...
user319949
Reply : Sun 24th Oct 2010 18:44

What does your ball flight look like? Are you generating any back spin at all? If not, you're going to struggle to get any ball to 'stop'.

If you're chipping in from around the green, I'd suggest picking up a technique that's going to generate more spin before firing for the latest and greatest ball.

What wedges do you use for 60 yards and in typically? 60, 64 degree?

user52922
Reply : Sun 24th Oct 2010 18:55

I use the bridgestone treosoft, which is a modest priced ball and works very well around the green.

user77012
Reply : Sun 24th Oct 2010 19:36

Me to JP loving them , sooooooooo nice off the putter.enlightenedhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/lightbulb.gif" title="enlightened" width="20" />

user50843
Reply : Sun 24th Oct 2010 21:15

Might be worth trying the new Wilson Tour ball, it's a 3 piece ball like the Pro v1 but cheaper. I normally use Pro v's but I was given some of these to sample and they are decent. I found they seemed to spin more off my wedges than Pro v1's too, and at about twenty quid for twelve well worth it.  

user24437
Reply : Sun 24th Oct 2010 23:31

Not wanting to doubt your ability as a player Matthew, but I would suggest that it's technique rather than the ball.  AD333's are pretty soft and do stop, in fact I'd say there was little difference between them and the treosofts.  I've used both (although I'm currently using Srixon Trispeeds).  So my advice is to go with one ball and work with it, not blame it.

user26342
Reply : Mon 25th Oct 2010 23:48

I normally played with the NXT Tour but found a few Pro V1x's a few weeks back & started to use them. The feel of them & their performance is superb. I actually found myself getting a few extra yards.

I've bitten the bullet & just bought 2 dozen (£60 from my pro) so we'll see how I get on playing with brand spanking new one's.

user271790
Reply : Tue 26th Oct 2010 10:08

A golf journalist recently asked Retief Goosen what the best ball would be for an "average" golfer. The great man smiled mischievously and said, "Whatever is free!" Retief's view is that unless you are a very good golfer, the type of ball you use won't make a lot of difference. Softer ones, such as the ones you mentioned, will give you a bit more feel around greens, firmer ones may give you a few more yards off the tee, especially in cold weather. I use Srixon Z-stars, primarily because I get them free when I subscribe to golf magazines. Retief would be proud of me, eh? I'm currently playing off 18, and I'll use just about any ball in good condition. I agree with the two others who have suggested that you need to look at your technique first, i.e. how to generate spin. Lessons work fine for me...

user289859
Reply : Tue 26th Oct 2010 13:23

Cheers all. I may skip back to the AD333's then. Fairly cheap and last a while.

I am having lessons regularly, so technique will come with consistency I think.

Short game lessons will have to sneak in as well!

user268352
Reply : Tue 26th Oct 2010 13:35

Good to see you're taking your golf seriously Matt .... obviously keen for a winning performance in next year's greno open!

Anyway, I have to say I agree with most of the above comments. I use whatever ball I can get on offer or for free. Managed to drop my handicap 6 shots this year by having a few lessons and practising though.

Putting and short game is probably where I've saved my shots, my driving is still a bit wayward but I'm making a few more up & downs now and reducing the 3 putts.

user289859
Reply : Tue 26th Oct 2010 14:05

Richie! I am definately keen for a victory/solid performance! I am wanting my handicap to drop soon...and putting is definately one of the things that lets me down! Am off to the range for a lesson this evening, so am going to have a look at what they can offer me ball-wise for good money.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top