Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

buying advice required

Posted by: user319949 | Thu 7th Oct 2010 16:28 | Last Reply

I am looking to upgrade my irons. I am still very much a beginner so I need something with a lot of forgiveness. I have recently tried the Cobra S2 irons and they ticked a lot of boxes for me.

My question is, given that Cobra are due to release the S3 for 2011 shortly, am I better off waiting until they are released (i.e. will the cost of the S2's go down?). My local pro says they are going to be run alongside the S2 and given that the S2 only came out in 2010 I can see the point of that.

I'm just wary of investing £350 in a new set, only to find I could have got them knocked down if I'd waited a while!

Cheers

re: buying advice required
user16106
Reply : Thu 7th Oct 2010 20:59

My advise Matrin for what its worth ( its free ) is go for a good set of 2nd hand clubs. Taylormade, titliest, callaway etc dont spend more than £150-200. Use them for half a doz rounds. See if you like them. If you dont, sell them and you loose about £20 then try a different brand. As soon as you buy a new set you loose about 30% of their value on the first round you play with them.

Dave CAC handed Geordie

user289859
Reply : Thu 7th Oct 2010 22:41

Not that it helps much, but I have the S2's and love them. Got them custom fit and had them for a little while now.  I saw the S3's on Twitter, but don't like the design as much.

The S2's probably will drop in price when the S3 gets released, but if you want to get a new set of clubs, I think you could do a lot worse.  There is an "S2 Max" (i think) version aimed at the higher handicappers as well...

user319949
Reply : Fri 8th Oct 2010 10:59

Thanks David - I would do that, but I get to use a fair selection of clubs before I put my name down for a fitting session and I'm under no pressure to rush that process.

Thanks Matthew - I may just hold on then! S2 Max look a little extreme to me unfortunately.

user319949
Reply : Fri 8th Oct 2010 19:37

John - great points there. Funnily enough I had my best 9 holes (lets not count the back 9 in the calculation!) today with my clubs, so there is certainly scope to do better with them.

This is what I am currently playing with;

http://www.jjbsports.com/slazenger-steel-golf-iron-rh/irons/shop/fcp-product/8779

Also I only have a 5,6,7,8,PW (without knowing the lofts of each). A full set of graduated lofts, custom fit to me is what I'm after, so it takes out some of the confusion when I'm reaching for my PW or GW not knowing the loft of the PW!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top