Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hybrid. Yes or No?

Posted by: user303548 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 19th Sep 2010 16:44 | Last Reply

I currently struggle with my 3 and 4 irons and was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable hybrid club that could do the same job.

Alternatively, a possible tip/solution as to why I am duffing my long iron shots please.

Cheers

re: Hybrid. Yes or No?
user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Sep 2010 18:28

Hi Paul, I myself am not a fan of hybrids, much preferriing to hit the long irons  because they are much more accurate in my opinion.

The secret to good long iron play is to keep the swing at the same tempo as the other irons and let the club do the work. I know the thinking that because its a long way the club has to be swung hard, the exact opposite is the way to go.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 19th Sep 2010 19:05

I have a TaylorMade Burner 3H which is pretty good.  The Mizuno MX-700 hybrid gets good write ups and the Cobra baffler is very good too.  Adams are reputed to have some of the best hybrids available, but I personally didn't like them.  I strongly suggest trying before buying. 

Personally I prefer to use irons, but it is all down to personal choice and what you feel comfortable with

user26342
Reply : Sun 19th Sep 2010 19:32

Paul,

Try before you buy. I much prefer hybrids with a steel shaft than graphite as it produces the same ball flight as my long irons. 

user23840
Reply : Sun 19th Sep 2010 22:06

JP you would have loved the young lad I played along with on Friday. In his early 20's, playing off scratch and getting a lovely shape with his 1 iron.

user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Sep 2010 23:49

Danny, I am envious, watching him play will certainly be of benefit to you. Must arrange a game soon, let me know when you are free.

user99350
Reply : Mon 20th Sep 2010 08:52

Personally I don't carry woods or hybrids as I get much more control from my long irons. JP is bang on. Concentrate on striking the ball correctly. Even off the tee a well struck 3 iron wins hands down to a badly struck drive.

user127691
Reply : Mon 20th Sep 2010 17:13

I swapped my 5 wood for a 19 degree/2iron replacement hybrid and I find I use ot more than I would a traditional 5 wood but I don't intend to swap my 3 or 4 iron for a hybrid. My home course is pretty windy and your long irons are absolutly invaluble it those conditions.

user99350
Reply : Mon 20th Sep 2010 18:27

Paul, it is a mind thing. I think higher handicappers at some time do get a sense of fear when they have to play 1,3, 4 irons (and the 60% plus wedges) and opt for a safer percentage shot. I really think if people spent a few hours on the practice pitch andgot used to the idea of just hitting long irons they'd be left wondering what they were scared of in the first place.

Also, don't forget that when you're hitting into the wind, the harder you hit it the higher it'll go.  

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top