Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I think I have my first golfing superstition

Posted by: user259181 | Wed 25th Aug 2010 11:07 | Last Reply

When I land a ball on the green sometimes I don't see or find my pitch mark...so to appease the golfing Karma gods I've started to find a pitchmark to repair in place of mine I can't find.

I guess I think that if I'm good to the green the green will be good to me

re: I think I have my first golfing superstition
user95306
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 11:22

Fair play lewis I have been doing this for years, purely to make up for the un educated ones who don't know how to use one!!

user24437
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 11:27

Good for you Lewis - personally (although it's nothing to do with my Karma) I always repair two, even if one of them isn't my own.  If only a lot of people did that, some of the greens I've played lately are peppered with them - interestingly the two worst recent instances have been members only clubs, and frankly I'm shocked that the members don't seem to care that much about their own courses... 

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 11:47

One of my biggest grimes is seeing pitchmarks not repaired!

Not a bad thing at all Lewis!

user16163
Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 12:10

this is something that annoys a lot of golfers but just how many times do you get to a green to see numerous pitchmarks on them!

how to repair a pitchmark!!!

• Use a ballmark repair tool (sometimes called a divot repair tool or greens repair tool) whenever possible. They are not expensive - BUY ONE.
  • Insert the repair tool at the edge of the pitch mark. Do NOT insert the tool within the depression itself.
  • Push the tool forward from the edge of the pitch mark toward the center. Do this around the edges of the indentation.
  • Do NOT insert the tool under the indented area and push up - a common mistake. Think of it as pushing turf in from the edges toward the center.
  • Tamp down the repaired area with your putter so that the surface is even.
  • also

• If your pitch mark has actually displaced a piece of turf, do not replace it. Just work around the edges with your repair tool as normal. The replaced turf will simply die, delaying the healing process.
  • Pushing the tines of your repair tool under the indented area and pushing up only damages the root system.
  • You not only should always repair your pitch marks, but, time permitting, you should repair any other ball marks you see, too.

• Last edit : Wed 25th Aug 2010 12:11
    user41192
    Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 16:22

Due to my work I get a discount at a local course. I started to play this course quite regularly and was astounded at the lack of repair to pitchmarks on the greens. So much so that after repairing 4 - 5 pitchmarks a green one day I went back to the clubhouse and asked to see the owner. I informed him on what was a really nice course to play but the lack of care and attention to the above mentioned started to pee me off a bit. He took it on board and signs appeared a couple of weeks later around the greens. Was probably not just me harping on about it and suspect a few may of complained. It's worth seeing the right people and saying your piece!

Also, if I owned a course I would make sure all new members were instructed on how to properly repair pitchmarks by having someone show them.

user217280
    Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 17:07

Good on You Lewis I try to repair as many as I see without obviously holding up play. how many times have we all heard moaning about how crap some greens are and yet there are still loads of golfers who cant be bothered to repair pitchmarks it takes seconds theres no excuse.

user24437
    Reply : Wed 25th Aug 2010 23:46

The worst case I've come across lately was at a my brothers old club.  We turned up as guests of two members, when asked I told the pro my Golfshake handicap which he was OK with, but my brother said that he didn't have one any more.  He was vouched for by the two members so we proceeded to the first tee, accompanied by the pro who had to 'pick up some signs from the morning comp' - not to check us out on the tee, oh no.  I went up first and cracked one down the middle (I know, beginners luck) as did my brother.  The pro had a few words with us and then asked whether or not we had pitch repairers with us, which we both had and showed him.  And what happened when we get to the first green?  It was peppered - I had to repair three that were directly on my line for a 5 yard put.  Interestingly, one of the members only repaired his after he saw me do mine....

user50354
    Reply : Thu 26th Aug 2010 08:32

Some of our pitch marks are so big someone sticks flags in them....

Not to be outsmarted I just take flag out fill pitch mark with sand and move to next tee....

Sorted.........I think...

user127691
    Reply : Thu 26th Aug 2010 13:47

We have signs at our place saying we operate a 1+1 policy. we should repair our own plus at least 1 more evry green.

Probelm is we are really a coporate venue with memebers as well so the coporate guests often have zero respect for clearing up pitchmarks. We do have working parties that do go round repairing pitchmarks in the morning during busy periods but late rounds after a busy day you seem to spend more time repairing pitchmarks than playing.

Funnily enough not sure where it was off the top of my head but they were trialling a new procedure of visitiors not reparing pitchmarks. The greenstaff were of the impression that people repairing pitchmarks incorrectly was more detrimental to green quality than people not reparing them at all. They had shown all memebers how to do it correctly and they also ran a 1+2 scheme so memebers kept the greens in trim and then the greenstaff repaired the other pitch marks in the morning as part of the duties. They seemed to be of the opinion that it was working well.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top