Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

golf club membership. what to do?

Posted by: user60926 | Fri 20th Aug 2010 20:09 | Last Reply

I have decided to bite the bullet and join a club the problem is the club that i would like to join is way out of my price range.

The courses i can afford would be a compromise and i know i would be always wishing i was playing at my 1st choice.

The thing is i need to join a club to make sure i play on a regular basis and get my handicap down.

I bet im not on my own in this predicament the course i want to join is horsley lodge as i play there with my friend who is a member.

re: golf club membership. what to do?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 20:26

Great course Jason, if slightly nearer to Nottingham one I would also love to join.

user24437
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 21:59

I agree that Horsley Lodge is a cracking course, I know a couple of members there and do get the occasional round with them.  However, the one thing that would put me off is that the course is effectively closed over the winter.  OK, I understand that they want to look after the course, and the quality does show in the summer, but having 4 months of the year playing off temporary tees, some temporary greens (especially the cracking 17th) and a mats or tees rule off the fairway just wouldn't do it for me.  Probably the best summer greens I've come across in Derbyshire though.

Still, if you do sign up feel free to give me a shout if you need a partner! 

user131525
Reply : Fri 20th Aug 2010 22:45

I'd agree with Tim that Horsely Lodge is a nice course, but there is much better value for money to be had in the area.

If you can afford a £1200 joining fee and £900 a year then go for it, but you'd have to play a heck of a lot of golf to get your money's worth at those prices.

There are plenty of courses in the area around the £500-£700 mark, although compared with other areas of the country, I think membership in our area is over-priced.  I've played loads of great courses this year where I've left thinking "if only I lived a bit closer"

user52922
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:21

I would imagine that you would have to pay some form of reduced green fee everytime you play.

user131525
Reply : Sat 21st Aug 2010 16:41

£400 still sounds like quite a lot for Associate membership, but it depends what the terms are.  If you've still got to pay say £10 for each round you play, you've still got a fairly significant outlay.  The advantages are though that you get a club-maintained official handicap and entry into their competitions, albeit on payment of the reduced green fee as John says.

I'd be interested to know the terms of it Jason if your going to find out more.

Whereabouts do you live?

user131525
Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 18:36

I'm guessing that's about Mickleover then Jason.  I work in Ashbourne so know the area quite well.

Have you tried Mickleover GC?  I don't know what sort of cost membership is there or for a slightly cheaper option Allestree?  I was a member there for a few years about20 years ago and, once you get past the problem of it being a muni, it's not a bad place.  After I'd been playing golf a while I moved to a better course in Chevin which is another option, but i'd imagine now that would be around the £800 mark.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 19:14

Jason, what do you think of Maywood ?   

user131525
Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 19:54

I think, unfortunately, you largely pay for what you get Jason.  I do however think membership in the Derby area is quite overpriced.  You're generally looking around the £600-£800 mark for clubs that have one course and a bit of a practice area, while if you look at neighbouring areas there's a lot better value for money to be had.

Gainsborough in Lincolnshire is £594 for full membership giving you access to two cracking courses and they've also got a range and practice area and a cracking club house.  Myself and a mate went up to Flamborough Head last week, a cracking links course, and were amazed to find full membership could be had for £421.  There was a house for sale on the boundary of the course, i even went home and looked that up on the Internet!

It sounds like associate membership for £400 at Ashbourne may not be that cheap if you're paying green fees as well.  Your other option is to spend the money playing regular golf in a nomadic way.  For example, I've played 25 different courses this year and loved every minute of it.  I've knocked over 5 shots off my handicap just simply by playing regularly (and a course of lessons last winter).  If you're interested in regular golf, take a look at the county golf league pages in the groups section: http://www.golfshake.com/society/groupView.php?groupID=2871 or our own web site: http://www.countygolfleague.com There are games every month through the winter and social games organised by members most weeks.

Last edit : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 19:58
user24437
Reply : Sun 22nd Aug 2010 23:52

It's true what you say James, never really figured out why it's so expensive around here, but if I were looking to join a club I think I would have to plump for Ormonde Fields.  The course has got to be one of the best all round tests of golf in the area.  If you've never played it Jason get down there, it's got the lot.  Not the easiest of places to get to from Mackworth (but is anywhere?).

Have played Maywood a couple of times recently (in disguise) and the course is much better than it used to be - it's actually quite well looked after now and the greens were very good - it's just not that interesting. 

user131525
Reply : Mon 23rd Aug 2010 09:47

I agree Tim, I'd also go for Ormonde Fields, but even that's £650 a year for just the one course, albeit a good one.

The only things that stops me is all the different courses we've played this year, something I'd never have done if I'd been a member somewhere.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top