Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Poll: If you had one round left, where would you play?

Posted by: user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 28th Jul 2010 16:42 | Last Reply

If you had one more round left in your life, where would you play bearing in mind money is no object and you could get an invite to anywhere?

If yours is not stated reply as usual in a forum post.

You have already voted

Augusta: 43%

Kiawah Island: 1%

Pebble Beach: 17%

Pine Valley: 0%

Royal Melbourne: 0%

Royal Portrush: 0%

Shinnecock Hills: 0%

St Andrews: 18%

Turnberry: 3%

Valderrama: 1%

x. Other (please state below): 13%

re: Poll: If you had one round left, where would you play?
user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 19:32

Iwould be more than happy to play again at St. Georges Hill.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:23

I honestly don't think there is anywhere, but there is a very good reason for this. 

About 18 months into my golfing career (when I was extremely happy to score in the 90's) I was on holiday in Florida.  I found out I could play Disney's Magnolia course, where the Funai Classic was held, on the second week for just $35.  I asked the wife if I could play as I had already played during the first week away.  I explained that I wanted to be "able to say I had played the same course that Tiger had".  I was allowed to do so. 

Whilst Magnolia was good - immaculately kept, fast and true greens, etc - the course I played the week before, Orange County National, was a much better golf course.  It was right then I realised that John Pettitt is right; many courses trade on their reputation and/or slot on the tour, and there are better courses to be played than the famous ones.  I have had this confirmed on a couple of occaisions since. 

For this reason, I'm going to say that until I have played more courses, I will never know for sure.  Until then, I'm going to plump for Augusta.

user52922
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:28

Chris, I think it is because people naturally assume that courses where they hold professional tournaments are the best available. but this is not true at all. Wentworth is famous but there are many course within 20miles of Virginia Water that are the equal and some even better than this famous course.

There are many links around our coastline that people have never even heard of yet would test the best moreso than those on the Open rota at present. I am playing one next month.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 20:29

I actually choose somewhere that I could go and do other things and had an interest in that area.  So wasn't that fussed about Augusta, I've seen it on the telly and can imagine it's a bit bland without the spectators

Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 21:00

Exactly right John.  The Belfry is case in point.  As an ex-member I think I am uniquely qualified to give an honest opinion.  The Brabazon is a great matchplay course, and hence very suited to the Ryder Cup.  As a strokeplay course, it's average.  I think the PGA is a much better course, but the Brabzon has the name, the history, and the £150 green fee.  There are better courses still within a few miles, such as Little Aston and Copt Heath, but most have never heard of them

user118394
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 23:06

sawgrass and play the 17th 18 times lol

user289859
Reply : Wed 28th Jul 2010 23:09

For me, and for no other reason than it being the first course I played (virtually of course), it would be Sawgrass. Don't know why. Not really prestigious in anyway...I just remember it from all the games of old!

Would love to do Augusta though. St. Andrews WILL be done in the next few years. Just gotta psyche myself up for the drive up there!

user38216
Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 08:42

Chris - back up a minute - you actually ask the wife for permission!!! LOL!

Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 09:06

Have you met my wife Dave?  She's a Thai boxing instructor.  I ask permission to go to the toilet!!!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 16:13

Lough Erne does look nice!

user41192
Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 17:31

Augusta just to witness those greens!

Then the next on my list would be Loch Lomond.

user93554
Reply : Thu 29th Jul 2010 20:12

I like to say Augusta as there is no chance of me every playing it, but shooting 3 figures for my last round would leave me spinning in my grave. Instead I will go for my old home course in NZ, Taieri.  Pretty sure I could knock it around there in a tidy score if I new it was my last game! 

user77345
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 17:46

As a retired ex Headgreenkeeper I have been fortuneate in having been able to play many top golf courses in Spain, America and Australia as well as in the UK.

Without a doubt the best course I have played has been the Williamsburg National in Virginia, USA. Unfortuneately when I played there I had one of my worst ever rounds of golf and I would love to play it again, hopefully a lot better.

user52922
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 22:32

Amazing how one has different views on different courses.

I played Birkdale with the professional from Gullane, Jimmy Hulme, who led the open after two rounds once. It was a Eurogolf competition and he invited me to play in his team,

We actually won the comp and I got a framed collection of cigarette cards of the most famous courses in this country. I have since given this as a prize to the VGS golf society.

Personally I thought the course was just average, I just could not see what all the fuss was about and I had Tom Watsons golf caddie to carry my bag. Alfie Fyldes.

Certainly not a course that I would want to play again. There are many better than that in my opinion.

user52922
Reply : Mon 2nd Aug 2010 23:00

Wayne, I have played them all on the lancashire coast as they hold most of the famous amateur torurnaments there on a regular basis. I much prefer Lytham & St Annes and I also liked Formby, but have you even heard of Hunstanton or Brancaster, two excellent and difficult links in the wrong place - The north Norfolk coast. What about Princes and Royal Cinque Ports, are they not just as worthy as Birkdale. What about Saunton the best course not to have held the Open. Royal North devon, another one just as good if not better than Birkdale.

Like you said one mans meat another mans poison.

user23840
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 13:25

Talking of unknown Courses in North West. I played Seascale once, which apart from the veiw of Sellafield on the 15th, is a nice track.

user77012
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 14:25

I've changed my mind it would be Saunton east course.

user260507
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 20:32

Being an Ayrshire girl, I had to go for Turnberry :-)

Vies of the Clyde, Ailsa Craig and looking past lighthouse out to Arran....my favourite view in the world, ever!!

user77012
Reply : Thu 9th Sep 2010 22:55

Jane, you are blessed with some fine courses and scenery up there.It's on my to do list.

user331868
Reply : Sat 30th Oct 2010 12:11

I couldn't choose just one as i have many favourites but i will narrow it down to half a dozen.Sawgrass, Augusta, St Andrews, Loch Lomond, Pebble Beach and Leopard Creek.Yes i know I'm greedy but believe me i could have chosen another dozen,that's the beauty of sky sports you get to see fantastic golf courses all over the world. ps that 2010 course at Celtic Manor looks great,hope to be playing there next Febuary if all goes well....!!!!!

user125585
Reply : Fri 5th Nov 2010 23:45

I voted for Augusta, becasue I guess its the course you get to see the most of on the telly and its good to see how you would face those shots you see each spring. The masters is the point when it feels like the summer golf season is starting.

If I had to pick a second then it would have to be St Andrews, and I guess that is more realistic in real life before I ahev to pick my last round!

Would also have put Pebble Beach / Valderama joint 3rd.

Was not too far form Valderama in the summer but £400 for my son and I to play compared with € (our handicaps) on Sherry Golf or €90 for 2 and a  buggy at Monte Castillio which was a great course and good value for money. as mentioned before reputation adding £$€ to the price.

user125585
Reply : Fri 5th Nov 2010 23:49

I voted for Augusta, becasue I guess its the course you get to see the most of on the telly and its good to see how you would face those shots you see each spring. The masters is the point when it feels like the summer golf season is starting.

If I had to pick a second then it would have to be St Andrews, and I guess that is more realistic in real life before I ahev to pick my last round!

Was not too far form Valderama in the summer but £400 for my son and I to play compared with € (our handicaps) on Sherry Golf or €90 for 2 and a  buggy at Monte Castillio which was a great course and good value for money. as mentioned before reputation adding £$€ to the price.

user125585
Reply : Fri 5th Nov 2010 23:50

If I had to pick a second then it would have to be St Andrews, and I guess that is more realistic in real life before I have to pick my last round!

Last edit : Sat 6th Nov 2010 22:18

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top