Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Grand Old Question?

Posted by: user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 23rd Jun 2010 08:42 | Last Reply

Now GMac has got one to his name who do you think is the best golfer of all time yet to win a major?

Westy? Monty? Sergio?

Give me your top 3.

re: The Grand Old Question?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 08:46

1.  John Pettit

2.  Dave Ley

3.  Darren Ramowski

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 09:16

Monty's record speaks for itself and I am sorry he was not fortunate enough to win a major.

user264761 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 10:29

Agreed,

I was lucky enough to meet the man himself at golflive and despite all his negative press, he was delightful. Very chatty and smiling!

I think his Ryder Cup role may have changed hima a bit! Altough deep down we all know he still has that burning desire to beat the Americans' come October!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 10:58

Adam,

I would have two lists for this.

1. Best player never to have WON a Major. - Neil Coles, Christie O'Connor & Jack Jacobs.

2. Best player yet to WIN a Major, - Westwood, Monty & Rory

Monty is almost in both, I am sorry to say.

TheLyth

user77012
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 11:42

Lyth have to agree on 2.  I know nothing of your  first selection although I know the name Christie O'Conner and vaguely remember the name Jack Jacobs , could you enlighten us? or John, I must be the wrong side of 50 hmm?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 12:59

Before 1970 when Tony Jacklin won the US Open not many BritishEuropean Players even got to play in The Masters, The US Open or The USPGA.

Christie is not known as "Himself" for nothing, great player and could do all sorts with the ball. He is the one who upon hearing a member suggest that he hit the wrong club on a par3, hit a ball with every club in his bag, and all finished on the green.

Jack Jacobs was the Pro at Lindrick GC and the brother of 'Swing Guru' John Jacobs. He won everything he entered in Yorkshire and The North but didn't travel far from his home. It is said that in order to get a reputation as a Teacher is the reason Maurice Jacobs became John Jacobs. His initials were seen as a good winning player (J.Jacobs).

Neil Coles won everything but wouldn't fly, he even sailed to the US for the Events he did play in.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 16:27

I know nothing of Jack Jacobs, only John, but have played with both Christie O'Connor and Neil Coles.

Christie was my regular partner in the winter Pro-Ams in both Spain and Portugal in the seventies and Neil lived just around the corner to me in Weybridge in the sixties and played fairly regularly at my club St. Georges Hill, although his home club was Coombe Hill.

Last edit : Wed 23rd Jun 2010 16:27

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top