Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Another Rules Question

Posted by: user131525 | Sun 9th May 2010 22:57 | Last Reply

I was playing on Saturday and had a situation I wouldn't mind knowing what the rule is.

I was playing my second and hit hit down the left of the fairway into some bushes.  As I walked towards my ball i said to one of my playing partners "have you got my ball?", "Yes" he said and promptly placed it in my hand, "it was in the middle of this bush" he said "you would never have been able to play it".

The look on my face must have been a picture and it was noticable that Mr Hawkins, one of my other playing partners, was giggling away like a school girl not too far away.  The question is, what happens next?

re: Another Rules Question
user24437
Reply : Sun 9th May 2010 23:10

Be interesting to know what the real ruling is James, although to be fair I did say that you should have had a free drop because it was moved without you being involved, and all credit to you for taking a penalty for it.

user131525
Reply : Sun 9th May 2010 23:38

That's the thing, with me taking the ball off him, i.e. touching it, does that now mean that it should be a penalty? and if I had refused to touch it would it have been a free drop?

Last edit : Sun 9th May 2010 23:39
user11501
Reply : Sun 9th May 2010 23:52

Ball moved by a fellow player must be replaced as near to it's original position as possible no penalty. Failure to do so will incur a 2 stroke penalty. Once replaced under penalty of 1 stroke you may

1. Two club lengths no nearer the hole and drop. If you role back into an unplayable position then further penalty of 1 stroke and repeat
  2. Keep the ball position in line with the pin and go as far back as you wish on that line
  3. Play from where you last made your previous stroke
user77012
Reply : Sun 9th May 2010 23:53

I would have told him to replace it as close as possible to where he picked it up and then took one of my options which would be at least a 1 shot penalty.

user11501
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 09:07

The rules say not !

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 11:11

Rule 18 states that the moved ball MUST be replaced without penalty.

It is good to remember that you and you alone can deem your ball unplayable.

TheLyth

user26342
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 14:18

Never ever touch another persons equipment without their express permission.

Has this got you in trouble more than once then Wayne?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 11th May 2010 09:05

Colin,

Here is the Rule involved. 18-3 covers Match-Play and does incur a penalty but 18-4 covers Stroke-Play and no penalty.

RULE 18  Ball at Rest Moved

18-3. By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play

a. During Search

If, during search for a player's ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipmentmoves the ball, touches it or causes it to move, there is no penalty. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

b. Other Than During Search

If, other than during search for a player's ball, an opponent, his caddie or his equipment moves the ball, touches it purposely or causes it to move, except as otherwise provided in the Rules, the opponent incurs a penalty of one stroke. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

(Playing a wrong ball - see Rule 15-3.)
(Ball moved in measuring - see Rule 18-6.)

18-4. By Fellow-Competitor, Caddie or Equipment in Stroke Play

If a fellow-competitor, his caddie or his equipment moves the player's ball, touches it or causes it to move, there is no penalty. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

(Playing a wrong ball - see Rule 15-3.)

TheLyth

user131525
Reply : Tue 11th May 2010 13:09

Thanks for the replies guys, I think that's cleared it up.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top