Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ball Postion

Posted by: user187097 | Sun 9th May 2010 21:50 | Last Reply

Can someone please help... I am struggling with ball position on my 5,6,7 irons where is the best position to play them from .Thanks Daz

re: Ball Postion
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 9th May 2010 21:59

I have the 7 iron and up in the middle of my stance.

The rest of the irons are played about a ball or two further forward in my stance.

Russ

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 11:38

All Irons should be just inside the heel of your front foot (Left foot for R/H'er).

This then give the illusion that the shorter irons are more central because of the narrower stance with them.

TheLyth

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 19:05

Exactly the way I see it, Steve. I use ball position for trajectory decisions.

user38216
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 19:52

The above three posts make total sense to me! Keep the position the same and let the differing loft and length of the club do the work.

I only play chips off the back foot and I dont have the skills for any other trajectory decision.

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 20:29

I can see your point, Wayne but I was just responding to Steves post, in fact I would go further and say that I don't play stock shots, I always have a flight path in mind and the ball position is relevant to that shot.

If, for instance I was to play everything the way Lyth sees it, with everything off the left heel then I would be hitting the ball too high a trajectory for the distance I am looking at and would have to play a completely different club to achieve the same result.

I have never played mechanical golf and have no intention of starting now.

user16163
Reply : Mon 10th May 2010 20:52

SHORT game whats one of those then!!!!

wham bam thankyou mam

hmmmm must be where im going wrong then

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 11th May 2010 09:16

I'll just extend things a bit here.

The 'Modern' swing is more in front of the body, while the older, more traditional swing uses more leg movement. This means that the CENTRE of the swing is in different places. The main aim for everyone is to address the ball in the same position that your swing bottoms out.

TheLyth

Last edit : Tue 11th May 2010 09:20

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top