Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

First Tee Jitters

Posted by: user287168 | Sat 27th Mar 2010 00:55 | Last Reply

As a novice, and talking to more seasoned players, Teeing off at the first always seems to unleash a squadron of butterfly's in the stomach.

Whilst staying away with work I got talking to the Club Pro at the hotel where I was staying and this subject came up in conversation. He said how many times at the first tee did I miss the ball? When I said none he said then what have you got to be worried about? When I said about topping and slicing he said but at the end of the day you have hit the ball. I have to say that this advice has already opened a new train of thought into a more relaxed frame of mind.

Am I alone with this fear, what advice would you give, and whats the best bit of advice have you been given to improve your game. 

re: First Tee Jitters
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 09:28

It's only ever happened to me once.

I'd only been playing a few months and we turned up to play Crookhill Park GC on a Sunday!

There must have been forty to fifty players in the queue.

The good thing at Crookhill is you only have to hit the ball about one hundred yards and it goes over the crest of a hill and you're out of sight then.

I managed to make a good contact with the ball and over the hill it went, never had first tee jitters since!

Russ

user52922
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 10:32

I have the jitters on every tee shot, no confidence whatsoever but this improves rapidly after I have hit the first one on each hole.

user52922
Reply : Sat 27th Mar 2010 15:05

Not a chance Wayne, I don't have any negative thoughts, just a poor wood swing.

user38216
Reply : Sun 28th Mar 2010 20:38

At my home course the first hole is a dog leg right, lake to the right and clubhouse terrace behind. I concentrate on a fir tree 290 yard up the fairway and rip the big dog. Works for me just having focus on one point, block everything else out!!

user78137
Reply : Sun 28th Mar 2010 21:53

I think especially in a competition nerves are pretty normal. Deep beathing is a good way to calm your nerves prior to teeing off.  One thing i have found which was also a tip from the local pro is to breath in deep as your setting yourself up.  Then try to exhale in control as you take your backswing and let your body & more importantly your club do the rest.  By exhaling and controling your breath this will definitely help you swing the club with more tempo & rythm as it relaxes the muscles, which means you stay in better control!  I also use this method with pressure shots, it really does remove the snatch or hard swing of the club, which inevitably leads to a poor shot.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top