Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How many of you Slice The ball?

Posted by: user275144 | Tue 23rd Mar 2010 13:25 | Last Reply

Hi Guys,

I would be interested to know how many of you slice the ball.

A slice (for right handers) starts left of the target and finishes right of it.

And what measures do you take to prevent it.

Steve

re: How many of you Slice The ball?
user16163
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 13:40

Hi Steve

I wouldnt say i slice the ball more of a fade although i do tend to slice maybe once or twice a round but this is only with my driver

my irons i seem to be drawing the ball most of the time

all i do at the moment to try to avoid it is just aim out to try to compensate for the fade/draw

it did help on one hole on sunday when i hit a 6 iron tee shot on a 170yrd par 3 to within 18" of the hole coming close to getting my 1st hole in one

user26342
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 15:44

Steve,

I used to have a slice & at best a slight fade until recently when I changed my Driver shaft to a slightly stiffer one & my irons from reg to the S300's. Now I hardly get any slice with my irons (unless I want to) & I can call upon the slight fade with my driver when required.

user77012
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 16:17

Steve, I think this thread has the potential to be the longest ever on GS

I'll be waiting for the hook post 

user77012
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 17:01

Steve just put smilies in search box   first link will show you.

I have a feeling 85% is on the low side

user131525
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 17:03

I have always had a slice.  I had a few lessons over the winter and am hitting much straighter now.  I still occasionally let my driver go though, particularly if I'm trying to give the ball a goodd whack. 

I had a Cleveland Hi-Bore Monster driver with a draw bias and always aimed left because the ball would always go left to right (I used to tell people how much skill was needed to achieve a slice with a draw-bias driver!).  I bought a Callaway FT-IQ neutral bias in the January sales and find it's much straighter. 

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 17:14

I started off my golfing life as a slicer, everything went down the left side of the hole and then turned back towards the fairway (hopefully!)

A number of lessons have helped me to improve my swing which now means I'm swinging on an in to out path.

It is that bad now that I cannot hit a fade!

Russ

user9137
Reply : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 17:57

I`m the same as Russ. I started out as a slicer but now after lessons my natural shot is a high draw (even with my driver)

Ian

Last edit : Tue 23rd Mar 2010 17:58
user99350
Reply : Wed 24th Mar 2010 08:38

I tend to push it/ slice if I 'fall out' of my swing ie moving away from the ball (only way I feel I can describe it...sloppy, lack of concentration) and the lower the club the worse the outcome. Conversely if I fall into the swing I'll pull it...I end up in a finishing positionm akin to a shot putter.

user90905
Reply : Thu 25th Mar 2010 07:52

I still hit the occasional slice once or twice a round even though my normal shot is a draw. This is usually if I rush the shot and fail to swing smooth and release the clubhead. It's so frustrating as I know during the swing what's going to happen but cannot prevent it in time!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top