Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Taking A Divot?

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 4th Mar 2010 10:29 | Last Reply

What club would you say that you should take a divot with, and which ones should you not?

Thinking about my irons it appears to me that I've never really taken a divot with any of my shots.

This is probably due to starting golf on a driving range mat that was as hard as concrete and me not wanting to damage my clubs!

I'd say that a 3, 4 or 5 iron should be sweeping the ball off the turf, then the rest of the irons you should be taking a divot.

What do you think?

Russ

re: Taking A Divot?
user52922
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 11:10

"Sweeping the ball off the turf" is an expression that has no place in the golf vocabulary as far as I am concerned. The reason, is that it infers an upward strike of the ball, yet as we all know this would only produce a top.

Only the driver is hit with an ascending blow and even that is so fine that the majority of us will still be hitting it at the bottom of the arc.

A ball struck correctly with an iron will always produce a divot as the ball has to be squeezed in conjunction with the turf to give a solid strike and ultimate control.

user26342
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 11:36

I've never really been a 'divot' person until recently where I made some tweaks to my swing & now I take a divot, smaller the club the bigger the divot, on most shots.

user24437
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 13:06

I can do it with all of them Russ, including my putter.

user99350
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 14:03

I can go with what JP says but sometimes I do take a divot with the lower irons 1,3 and possibly 4 but then again sometimes not so much that you'd notice. I don't intentionally try to sweep it off the turf (I only do that in a fairway bunker). The key is if I hit it sweetly and then the difference between the 'divot' shot and the 'slightly rough up turf' shot is v negligible

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 14:32

There is a difference between "burning the grass" and taking a divot. I take the top off the grass but other than when playing a certain type of shot, I never take soil.

TheLyth

user217280
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 17:27

The only time I don't take a divot is if I hit a long iron or wood off a tee, when trying to go for distance and roll, anything else played straight off the turf I take a divot, as long as you hit the ball first then take a divot it's ok, can't see how you can strike the ball with a decending blow and not take a divot, I would think that the ball striking and spin control would be poor if you didn't take a divot.. 

user50657
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 18:45

I rarely take a divot, but I don't think I strike the ball very well with my irons. Something I really need to work on this year.

user16106
Reply : Thu 4th Mar 2010 20:52

I get divots about 8" long and about 4" wide from 8 iron through sand iron off the fairway. It just started to happen all of a sudden as I improved. Im very poor with 3,4,5 & 6 irons off the fairway so I dont tend not to play those clubs. I would love to play long irons when about 180-200 yds out. Never seem to get a good contact. Anyone got a simple fix to get the ball up in the air. I hit the 8 iron about 145 carry but fairly low.

Cac handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top