Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sky Caddie, no more. . . :(

Posted by: user40826 | Wed 10th Feb 2010 20:22 | Last Reply

So yeah my beautiful SG5 is no more

Saturday before last, went out for my regular Saturday after updating my Sky Caddie membership (£30 notes), got to the course to find it had wiped all my courses - so put it in its case and in my side bag pocket.  No problem, I know the course, not too bothered.

Got to the second tee, parked the trolley about 20 yards left from the tee, slightly forward (done it hundreds of times) - its on the back tees at the moment so cant go behind the tees. Bet you all know were this is going . . .

I stepped up, hit a beauty down the Par 5 fairway.  My father in stepped up and BANG, hooked his ball into the side of my bag, not his parked next to mine, my bloody bag.

After inspection felt lucky it aint my valuables pocket, phone in there etc.  Carried on playing after arguing with my father in law that he shouldn't have a free drop.  Thought nothing more of it.

Until . . .

Last Friday thought, bugger, got to update the old GPS before tomorrows round.  Pulled it out, and I nearly wept.  Screen in bits, ariel almost hanging off, case cracked - just gutted.

Rang house insurance, not covered - apparently they don't cover portable things and sports equipment.

Rang Golf Insurance, not covered  - apparently its not required to play golf, so its not covered.

What the hell am I paying all this insurance for?  Been onto Sky Caddie and they are going to take a look at it - been quoted around £58 for the screen repair, but they wont know till they get it.

On a brighter note, Go Kart have replaced my broken scorecard holder with no issue and I had to wait an ENTIRE day!  I hope Sky Caddie can match the customer service at Go Kart.

I'll keep you updated!  

Last edit : Wed 10th Feb 2010 20:22
re: Sky Caddie, no more. . . :(
user40826
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 06:36

Got me thinking again.  If sports equipment are insured under my contents insurance, if they (god forbid) they got knicked from my house would my golf insurance cover it?  I'm with Golf Plan by the way.

user38216
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 18:37

Golf insurance is a waste of money when home insurance can be upgraded for very little £££.

Do not rely on what your insurers tell you, READ your policy. If you have cover for personal possessions (i.e outside of your home) this type of loss should be covered. 

user25349
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 20:16

Golf insurance is a waste of money when home insurance can be upgraded for very little £££.

Does Home Insurance cover you if you hit someone else on the course with a wayward shot?

user40826
Reply : Thu 11th Feb 2010 20:25

What happens if your clubs are stolen from your car?  Would your home insurance cover you then?  Or would your car insurance?

user40826
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 18:17

This is begining to bug me now.  Let me get this straight.

My Sky Caddie basically cant be insured then? Under car, golf or house insurance?

My Golf clubs are insured under my golf insurance from being nicked from my car but not from my home?

This is a bloody joke now.  Feel really angry about all of this.  How is everybody elses golf gadgets covered?

user26342
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 20:53

Chris, I would take note of Daves advice, if anyone knows he should, he makes a living from insurance.

user38216
Reply : Fri 12th Feb 2010 23:33

Does Home Insurance cover you if you hit someone else on the course with a wayward shot?

Yes, full public liability cover howsoever caused. All my gadgets are covered under home insurance, as is worldwide travel etc, its a package policy.

user77012
Reply : Sat 13th Feb 2010 11:56

Dave, do  you recommend any firm in particular? and what do you ask for ? Is it a special policy?  sorry but i'm as much in the dark as most on this topic.

user38216
Reply : Sat 13th Feb 2010 15:14

Dave, PM sent, I can't recommend anyone on a forum due to my membership  of various professional bodies. Sorry.

user77012
Reply : Sat 13th Feb 2010 19:08

Thanks Dave I will check it out, On the subject of Skycaddie I'll be playing the 2010 course tomorrow at Celtic Manor and have just notice whilst downloading the course that the 2010 has Hole Vue option, I will let you know how it fairs.( I think its the only UK course with this option?)

user77012
Reply : Mon 15th Feb 2010 12:22
<p>Bit of an anti climax I&rsquo;m afraid fellas the Hole Vue option on my SG5 was not working or I couldn&#39;t find it , so no review. </p>  <p>I can tell you about the 2010 course though, well the whole experience it&rsquo;s how golf should , excellent service coupled with a very good course. The course was in very great condition considering the amount of poor weather we&#39;ve suffered. 10 holes are from the original Wentwood hills course so were familiar to me anyway but really liked the new additions especially the 18th a testing par 5 .Greens a typical USGA and very big you can be 3 clubs different from front to back. Fairways are wide enough with good landing areas , nicely undulating but not OTT. Bunkers are everywhere and are huge&nbsp; I managed to get caught in a couple but had no trouble exiting them pleasure to play from. At 7,400 yrds its a toughie but very enjoyable if you get the opportunity to play there don&#39;t hesitate to go. </p>
user26342
Reply : Mon 15th Feb 2010 13:40

I agree Dave,

Although I didn't play the 2010, I played the Roman road & the Monty in Jan. We also stayed over in the 5* hotel. All areas were excellent.

Can't recommend it enough. Will be going back soon to use my free round I won while I was there

user40826
Reply : Mon 15th Feb 2010 17:14

Update!

So I ended up ringing sky caddie for the repairs.  Sent it Friday and after I emailed them everyday, and with a bill paid of £85.18 my Sky Caddie should be back home on Wednesday.  Result.

Need a reinforced case for it now, oh and apparently, my clubs, sky caddie, laptops, sat nav added to my insurance.

You live, you learn, 

user40826
Reply : Wed 17th Feb 2010 12:05

Right, bit of an update.  Rang the insurance company last night - 24 minutes on the phone (very helpful though). 

Got my clubs, trolley, laptops, sky caddie, sat nav, iPods, mobile phones - basically anything portable insured for inside and outside the home for an extra £4 a month - peace of mind.

I wonder how many people do not have their clubs insured under their contents insurance?

On a brighter note, my sky caddie turned up this morning, fixed screen, fixed case - excellent turn around on the repairs.  Hats off to Sky Caddie!

A happy ending of sorts! 

user40826
Reply : Sun 28th Feb 2010 07:52

Some picture here . . . 

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/galleries/25881/1/0/skycaddie-sgx-gps-rangefinder-pictures.html

Review . . .

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/equipment/news/2010/skycaddie_sgx.html

I think I'll stick to my SG5 - nothing on there seems to be better than SG5 model.  The software will be the same.

On a separate sky caddie not.  I loaded up the 2010 course to look at the top down HoleVue option (ran it under the demo option).  It looks a great feature to add, especially playing at courses you've never played before.

I hope they roll this out across all of the courses sooner rather than later! 

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top