Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Poll: Do you pack up your sticks in the Winter months ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 22nd Dec 2009 13:01 | Last Reply

A lot of talk on frozen golf courses, do you still play or give up as a bad job at this time of year ?

You have already voted

1, Yes, too cold, wet and unpredictable: 10%

2, No, play every opportunity I can, nothing will stop me: 45%

3, Only under extreme conditions which does mean less golf: 36%

4, No need, course conditions fine all year round (lucky people!): 6%

Last edit : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 13:03
re: Poll: Do you pack up your sticks in the Winter months ?
user77012
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 13:12

I answered 3 but may have to re-evaluate after rounds at Abbey and a few other courses of late.Not getting much pleasure from trapesing around muddy fields or hitting balls into frozen greens,and then when on the greens putting becomes a lottery.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 13:25

I'll play as much as I can but will not Putt when the greens are iced up (Comps excepted). Even been know to get some Tennis Balls out in the snow. Anything to keep going.

TheLyth

user79538
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 16:11

We have a pairs KO that runs during the Winter and Ladies, Men's and Junior Stablefords.  Any course closures have usually been short in the past, but we lost 3 weeks in February this year, and the course has been closed for the last week.  Having seen the likely temperatures for the coming 5 days, I expect we'll be playing again before the New Year.  We only hold 1 qualifying Stableford per month for December, January and February, and a rather popular Christmas Texas Scramble which had to be cancelled on Sunday, and will now replace the Men's Stableford on Sunday 4th Jan.

Generally speaking, I tend to get out on the course less when it's cold, but only course closures stop me playing altogether.  Next due out Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th if the course is open.

user26342
Reply : Tue 22nd Dec 2009 21:27

If the course is open then I play, if it's not I find one that is. He who dares wins!

user40826
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 17:40

Gotta agree with Mr Flood, if the course is open, I'll play.

Just wish my course had better drainage, its like a mud bath at the moment.  Roll on the Summer months.

user24437
Reply : Wed 23rd Dec 2009 20:12

Carry on regardless, me.  Don't particularly like playing in mud, but frost is fine.  So if a course is open I'll go and play (except last weekend when I did Christmas shopping - and couldn't make the Ramsdale game, dammit).

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top