Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Poll: How would you eradicate slow play ?

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 7th Dec 2009 15:38 | Last Reply

We had a great post a while back on 'How would you eradicate slow play ' worthy of a forum consensus ?

You have already voted

Always play a provisional ball if there's any doubt: 10%

Encourage slow playing partners to speed up: 3%

Forget about "who's honour it is on the tee", if your ready tee off (except in match play: 25%

If playing a 'social game' allow gimmes (within reason ): 5%

If playing stableford, pick up if you can't score: 11%

If there is a bell to ring to let the group behind know it is safe to play then RING it!!: 0%

If you hit a bad shot don't stand there looking shocked, just get on with it: 0%

If you think you may have a problem locating your ball, let the group behind Play Through: 18%

If your ready to play your shot & there's no danger of hitting anyone then play: 13%

If your stopping at the halfway house let those groups that aren't through: 0%

Leave trolleys & bags near to where the next tee is: 1%

Mark your card away from the green you've just finished: 5%

Try to keep practice swings to 1 or 2: 6%

Last edit : Tue 5th Jan 2010 11:25
re: Poll: How would you eradicate slow play ?
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 16:12

Chris, very good point.  These are more golfer focused but I guess the next question is 'what should the clubs do ?'

user77012
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 16:19

Don't invite Stuart Govan.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 16:32

The biggest one is missing.

If you think you may have a problem locating your ball, let the group behind Play Through.

TheLyth

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 7th Dec 2009 16:41

Not now

user91910
Reply : Mon 14th Dec 2009 07:53

Where's the multiple selections option? I think I agree with pretty much all of these options. Most of them are common sense and should be followed by any golfer with an ounce of etiquette within their body.

For people new to the game some of these may not be as obvious as they are to those of us that have been playing for years and so I do think it's up to us experienced types to educate and spread the knowledge.

Having regularly spent 6 hours at Silvermere cursing people and losing the will to live this is a problem I could rant on about for days!

IMHO a social round of golf should take no longer than 3 hours for a 2 ball, 3.5 hours for a 3 ball and 4 hours for a 4 ball.

I'd be interested to see a poll on how lone people think each of these sized groups should take, the results may highlight part of the problem.

Rant over,,, ;p

Merry Christmas fellow golfers!

Mike 

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Dec 2009 08:28

Mike, think this would be a touch one to gather opinion in a poll.  You've hit on a very god point  'IMHO a social round of golf'

That may be part of the issue what people deem their rounds to be:

Exercise/enjoyment

Social

Society

Competitive

all of the above have a bearing on the speed of play.

user52922
Reply : Mon 14th Dec 2009 10:00

Carry on ranting, Mike F, as you are speaking for me as well, yet I will not now get the flack.

user23840
Reply : Mon 14th Dec 2009 21:51

What about gun turrets?

user24437
Reply : Mon 14th Dec 2009 23:45

Great Stuart, so that'll be One, two er...

user331868
Reply : Sat 30th Oct 2010 13:10

ahh poor Lewis doesn't like to play in summer because all the fair weather golfers will be out, its not the fair weather golfers that slow play up its all the golfers that think they professionals.Who take 5 minuets in there pre shot routines and take ages lining up there putts drives me crazy. ps oh by the way i must be one of those fair weather golfers as i tend to stop playing around December and starting up again in february or march,but looking at your handicap, having a 3 month break doesn't seem to do me too much harm.

user52922
Reply : Sat 30th Oct 2010 14:51

Lewis has only just taken up the game, Christophe,r and I would bet money that at the end of next summer that he will have a lower handicap than you.

user331868
Reply : Sat 30th Oct 2010 16:38

Ahh yes the famous Mr Pettitt, the man that loves an argument. Firstly i couldn't careless who has the better handicap as i play golf for the pure enjoyment it brings whether you are a 28 or 0 handicapper.I was stating a fact that a lot of golfers stop playing over the 3 month period Dec - Feb. And many of them are very good golfers that know the golf etiquette, and don't slow down play. As i said before the worst culprits are the golfers who think they are professionals and spend an extra 10 minutes per hole with there pre shot routines and fussing over there putts,even the tiddlers.(I take it you are one of these golfers).

user52922
Reply : Sat 30th Oct 2010 18:00

You know the saying, you can take the boy out of Essex, don't you Christopher.

I am one of those golfers, as you put it, who would have no trouble leaving you puffing for breath.You would not like to play golf at my speed.

user24437
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 00:05

Oooh, sits down with popcorn..

user331868
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 04:54

John your more than welcome to come down to Essex and give me a game,IL look forward to it,you can bring your butler too if you want he can caddy for you.( oh it will have to be soon though as i stop playing in December for 3 months,you know what us fair weather golfers are like).

user52922
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 08:48

The thing is Christopher, how will you  be feeling on a Sunday morning after an Essex saturday night out.. I see you got in late last night.

Perhaps I did not mention that I have to use a buggy.

user331868
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 11:37

Actually John i never got in late last night,i got up early this morning as i had a tee time booked for 7.30am. But i had some bookwork to finish for work that i wanted to get done, so i didn't have to do it when i got home. Those days of staying out late on a Saturday night have long gone I'm afraid,that's why i took up golf its better for your health.(if not your mind).   cheekyhttp://www.golfshake.com/scripts/ckeditor/plugins/smiley/images/tounge_smile.gif" title="cheeky" width="20" />

user52922
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 12:02

Nice one, Christopher, reminds me of the time that I used to be in the car park at Hainault that same ungodly hour, just to get a tee time for that morning.

user331868
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 12:25

I tend to stay away from Hainault at weekends, as you may well know can be very slow going.Played HobbsCross this morning not the longest course you will ever play, but enjoyed it and only took our 3ball 2 hours 45 min.....!!!

user52922
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 12:44

With that timing you would have been a welcome member at my old club in Somerset - Clevedon Golf club where all fourballs took only three hours to go round and the course is not a short one and is quite hilly in places.

I have been down to the Hobbs Cross course but never played it, Canons Brook, Stapleford Abbotts or Woolston Manor would be my choices in that area.

user77012
Reply : Sun 31st Oct 2010 12:54

Played the Belfry (Brabazon)yesterday 5hr round,  the course setup doesn't lend for quicker play .The second cut is a inch longer than it needs to be you just cant see your ball unless your on top of it.Secondly the leaves, the fairways had been cleared by blowers first thing, but the leaves all end up either side of the fairway and become 3 to 4" deep on top of the allready longish grass.

The course was in excellent condition and the greens were the finest I have played this year they reacted to spin,stop and roll pefectly and the speed well,lets just say if you breathed on the ball it was on its way!

user331868
Reply : Mon 1st Nov 2010 15:26

John, the best golf course in that part of Essex is easily Top Meadow, greens and especially the fairways are in great shape.There's a great mixture of some easy but mostly hard holes where accuracy rather than length is generally the way to play, although saying that the back 9 is about 3400 yards long with three par 5s on it one of them is all up hill its a fabulous golf course. If you get the chance to play it I'm sure you will enjoy it especially as during the week you can play there for £16.00 and you get a fried breakfast chucked in as well.They are also doing a deal where you can play a round of golf,then go and have dinner in the restaurant,spend the night in their hotel,get up in the morning have breakfast go out a play another 18 holes all that for £55.00 per person. (highly recommended).

user52922
Reply : Mon 1st Nov 2010 16:11

Sounds Ok, Christopher, have not played it myself but then I have not been back to Essex for about 15 years.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top