Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ball compression divots

Posted by: user259181 | Sat 14th Nov 2009 17:06 | Last Reply

I'm finding sometimes I don't take a divot.........sometimes I do. Now with me only starting golf a couple of months ago, I've yet to play on hardish ground.

Sometimes my divots are not divots.....but are just a mark about 1-2cm deep and 5cm long where the ball has squeezed into the soft ground. Now I think my shots are going a nice average distance for a beginner, but surely the squeezing of the ball into the soft turf reduces the shot length....how differently does the ball react when compressed into normal summer fairways??

Should I be worried that sometimes I don't take a divot and sometimes it is just the ball mark?

cheers

Lewis

Last edit : Sat 14th Nov 2009 17:20
re: Ball compression divots
user52922
Reply : Sat 14th Nov 2009 18:47

Divots, Lewis, there are many differing views on this, but I don't feel that I have struck the ball corrrectly if I do not take a divot, even though mine are pretty shallow.

In fact a shallow divot will help in getting backspin on the short irons.

If you say you sometimes get a mark made by the ball, then that can only be through you hitting the ball on its head instead of its bum.

Last edit : Sat 14th Nov 2009 18:48
re: Ball compression divots
user52922
Reply : Sat 14th Nov 2009 19:45

I have found myself, especially this year, what with the very dry weather we have had down suth that the ground has been too firm to take a divot with the game improvement clubs that I now use. Callaway X 14's. Oh how I have wished to still have my old blades that were suited to these kind of conditions as bounce on these wide soled clubs make shotmaking very difficult when the ground is hard.

In fact it has been very difficult to strike the ball properly at all. so am now relishing the softer conditions.

A golf ball should be squeezed with an iron much like a half volley in football.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top