Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Priors Winter League

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Thu 8th Oct 2009 14:04 | Last Reply

I am running a Winter League with all six games being played on the Priors course at Stapleford Abbotts GC.

You do not need to play in the Winter League to join these events, everyone is welcome.

Each game will be held on the third Sunday of each month.  Starting this month and ending in March 2010.  The cost is £20 which includes a tea/coffee on arrival, not bad value for a weekend game of golf.  Most of the games have a first tee time of 10am.  The two exceptions are the first two games where those tee times had already been taken.  The October game will tee off at 11:15am.

If you want to play in the Winter League it will cost you £1 per game.

I will also be running a £2 Stableford game, a £1 par three challenge and a £1 Mystery five game.   All these games are optional.

We will be using the Stableford scoring system for the Winter League, and everyone will play off 3/4's of their handicap.

When I put the game up on here feel free to enter.  I have booked five tee times but I will try and book more if there is a need.

Russ

Last edit : Fri 9th Oct 2009 01:44
re: Priors Winter League
user81455
Reply : Thu 8th Oct 2009 20:42

Good luck with this Russ it looks like great value.  Shame I don't live within reasonable travelling distance.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 9th Oct 2009 01:45

Jon, I'm sure everyone who plays in these games will enjoy it, weather permitting!

Although the course is quite open it is well maintained.

If the wind blows we'll know about it.

Russ

Reply : Sat 10th Oct 2009 13:04

Only a week away so get your name down if you want to play.

Russ

Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 00:43

We have eight people registered to play this game, a poor showing really seeing as how many people are in my area.

If this was the January game I maybe could understand only the die hard players being there, but not for October.

Get your name down and join in the fun.

Russ

user34817
Reply : Mon 12th Oct 2009 17:10

Hi Russ,

Just out of curiosity do you play off the whites or yellows?

Also, I understand that it is more or less standard practice to play off 3/4 handicaps but could you explain why? I'm not saying you should / shouldn't but wondered what the thinking was behind it.

Cheers.

Reply : Tue 13th Oct 2009 02:20

Richard, for the society game we'll probably have to use the Yellow tees, although I might ask on the day about using the Whites.  When I play there I would use the White tees to play from.

For my Summer League we were using a full handicap but it was mentioned that we should use 3/4 handicaps, so we decided to use it.  To be honest I cannot see that it would make any difference, if we're all playing the same system bandits will still come through the net.

Russ

Reply : Wed 14th Oct 2009 12:48

OK, only three days to go before the first game in the Priors Winter League (PWL).

We have twelve people down to play, but only two of us from Golfshake!

I played the course last weekend and it's in a very good condition.  And with the rain we've had last week the greens are holding a ball.

See you on Sunday.

Russ

Reply : Thu 15th Oct 2009 13:31

Hello Allan, that will be one of the first things I will be discussing with the participants this coming Sunday.

It's good of us to loan you OUR trophy until the next event!

Russ

Reply : Fri 16th Oct 2009 12:33

The first game is this Sunday with a tee off time of 11:15am.

We have another society going off before us so I would expect our tee time to run late, it's what normally happens as this course is normally really busy on a weekend.

The cost for the golf includes a tea/coffee so arrive early enough so you can drink that, and pay me for the golf and other games!

They do have a chef working at a weekend so you should be able to get something to eat if you want.

If you want to hit some balls before playing then you will need to go to the main course.  They have no problems with you using the facilites there if you are playing on the Priors.

At the moment we have twelve confirmed players with one interested player.  I cannot find the interested players name on the list of golfers on here so cannot contact him.

Let's hope the weather is good for us on Sunday.

See you there.

Russ

user34817
Reply : Fri 16th Oct 2009 12:36

Cheers Russ, looking forward to it.

Reply : Sun 18th Oct 2009 00:08

I played the course today (Saturday) and it's looking good apart from the greens!  They have been spiked or something but to be honest they look poor when you stand on them but it doesn't really affect the putts, so everything should be fine.

The weather for tomorrow is saying dry with a maximum temperature of 11C, and the wind will be 6mph, so less wind than today.

Please be there at least half an hour before the first tee time, so get there for 10:45am.  I need to collect everyone's green fees and the fees or the other games.

See you tomorrow.

Russ

Reply : Sun 18th Oct 2009 23:21

Thank you to everyone who turned up to play this game.

I managed to arrange the weather so that we would have a little bit of warm sunshine followed by a few hours of cloud.  I also decided to let everyone tee off with no wind but as the round progressed I turned up the wind machine a notch or two!

To say we were all playing off 3/4 of our handicaps there was some serious bandit play in progress!  (Sorry, I meant to say some really good scores, even managed one myself!)

I'll put the results up tomorrow when I have more time.

See you next month for the second game.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top