Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Left hand position in the takeaway when level with hips

Posted by: user85262 | Wed 10th Jun 2009 09:12 | Last Reply

Just wondered what anyones thoughts are about this?

Ive read an article that says that in the takeaway when the club is level with your hips (just before wrist cock) that the left hand should be pointing flat away from you. (i.e away from your body)

When i checked this in my swing the back of my left hand is more at a 45 degree angle party pointing skywards.  Perhaps this could be the reason I have a tendency to slice. If I do this in slow motion as the club is parallel on backswing my club is fanned open.

Going tonight to the course to try it out but it feels really strange to me trying to swing the club and getting my left hand in that position.

John

re: Left hand position in the takeaway when level with hips
user85262
Reply : Wed 10th Jun 2009 22:02

Alex,  this worked very well with my irons and my rescue club but I was slicing everything with my driver.  I got 5 pars out of 14 holes tonight (good for me)  due to iron play but my driver was a disaster.

Think I'll be booking a one off lesson with my driver to try to sort it out.

I know the theory but cant put it into practise.  Ive  tried to make sure I release my wrists, tried to come from in to out, rather than coming across the ball to the inside. Ive made sure my stance  and shoulders arent open amongst other several other things.

Tonight, going through the holes Ive played each time its been my drive that has let me down and cost me an extra shot and its just spoiling what might otherwise be a decent game for me.  Getting desperate!  ( I also hit the ball way too high wwith my driver)  Ive only started having these driver problems in the last 5 or 6 weeks, didnt slice before.

Anyone anything I could try before I get a lesson? 

Thanks

John

user93554
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 08:26

I have always found that if I need to make a change or identify a problem I have to accentuate the "fix" to the extreme to get it to work.  If you think you might be not releasing correctly then try to hit a big hook.

I had a similar problem with coming too outside in and to fix it I had to feel like I was swinging like Jim Furyk....I checked out a video of me trying this and it was a normal swing and inside to out.  Just goes to show that what the mind thinks the body is doing is not always the case.

user85262
Reply : Thu 11th Jun 2009 08:44

Ive been reading up a bit and wonder if it maybe that my swing plane with my driver is too steep which would cause the high flight and for me to come across the ball.

I'll be off to the range tonight to try a shallower swing plane and ensuring my wrists release.

Thanks

John

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top