Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

To stiff a shaft

Posted by: user16742 | Sat 23rd May 2009 18:35 | Last Reply

Looking for some opinons from you guys, basically to back up what im thinking. I started out with the mazuno mx17's started getting consistant and my handicap came down to 24 then i got some mx52's with riffle 6.0 shafts in and my handicap has got stuck and i dont feel that im improving that much. Now when i got them i didnt know how stiff the shafts were, I thought they were just a bit stiffer than normally.  Been having a chat about my clubs to the new pro and after my lesson today i showed him my club and he was shocked that the old pro sold me them. And says that they arnt doing me any favoirs, its not the heads but the shafts that are shafting me. there ment for around 100mph swing speeds and he thinks im more near 85 with out testing me properly.
So now 2 questions should i change clubs or try to persist with the ones i have.
If i do i like thin heads but i want something that will help me so i would go with think ones if this is best. I think that last time i started to get a bit a head of myself and want to shape shots instead of trying to be consistant.

The pro has give me the ping i10 and a  taylormade burner both with regular shafts in to try. 

Last edit : Tue 26th May 2009 11:29
re: To stiff a shaft
user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 19:23

Too many players have shafts that are too stiff for them, Matt. The reason they like them is that they give a false sense of security because they are not so wayward as a softer shaft would be. But then, of course, they lose the benefit of the extra distance a softer shaft will give.

user204647
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 19:28

Hi Matt

It all depends on whether you have taken your club head spead from your driver or your irons.

I presume you are talking about your driver speed and if so you really need to change your clubs or the shafts. All golfers need the shaft to flex during the downswing and with a stiff shaft like the 6.0 you would be inclined to block the ball right and loose distance.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 19:34

I disagree with that comment, why do you think he would block the shot with a shaft that is stiff, when he is likely to be more accurate than using a softer shaft, which does flex.

user204647
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 20:42

You obviously don't know the dynamics of the golf club or you would not make such a comment.

You just stick to persimmon wood John.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 21:20

Once again you are stating something as a fact when it isn't. I fully understand golf clubs and a stiff shaft does not induce a block, only the operator can do that. David Ley uses stiff shafts and he never blocks a ball. He must be doing something wrong according to the Devlin School of Golf.

user204647
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 21:35

No John that is a fact, If you have never been taught golf then that is your downfall.

Because the flex in the shaft is too stiff there is no kick at impact hence the reason the blade stays open rather than square at impact.

Logic and physics spring to mind.

user52922
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 21:53

I see you have recruited your top salesman to try and back up your ridiculous argument.

I quite often use a stiff shafted driver and three wood and I never block them, but then I have a feel for a swing, something you obviously do not have.

Listening to you two is like listening to Bill and Ben the flowerpot men. Which one of you is the puppet.

So that is the first thing you would think of if someone asked you why they are hitting it straight right is it, Nick? had you not given a thought  it might be  for another reason, like getting the head in front of the ball at impact, as that will produce the same thing.

Every fault in a golf swing is diferent for everyone, no one is the same and that is why it is essential to see the fault before one makes a diagnosis. You Nick are not qualified at all to make a concerted judgement as you are not skilled enough yourself. Martin, is an enigma we know nothing about, but I will say that every bit of advice he has offered has been incorrect.

user204647
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 22:20

You must differ from every pro in the country then John but you always do (you know best eh)

No you do not, Not unless you disagree with every teaching method.

Nick is right in what he said and if you disagree then you are making yourself look ridiculous. A 22 handicap golfer knowing more about the golf swing than you makes you look foolish.

At least you gave me a chuckle tonight John.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 22:26

Now now guys, I'm sure youre all adult enough to not make this into a personal attack over this lovely bank holiday weekend.

If you do, I will edit accordingly and delete if necessary.

Dennis

user204647
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 22:36

Dennis.

Why did you not say something against John when he was so iggnorant to my post on BANDITS.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd May 2009 23:14

Hi Martin,

I post as I see things and my post above was to all involved in the thread. Please point out to a mod if you feel something should be done in a particular thread.

Ps. I cant see how someone can be ignorant in an online forum but that is me being pedantic

user204647
Reply : Sun 24th May 2009 00:00

Dennis

Showing ignorance is showing a lack of knowledge whether it be face to face or online and i'm not being pedantic

user99350
Reply : Sun 24th May 2009 00:20

I am a bit confused by all of the above as I have a very flexible driver shft, regular dynamic gold in my 3-s/w irons and v stiff shafts in my nike s/v 56* & 60* (still dynamic gold) I hit my driver straight but if I try a stiff shaft I hook the sht out of it. I hit my sand iron a clear 20yds further tan my 60 nike (which is why I keep it in my bag) but the nike is infinitely more accurate and a valuable tool for me.

Now I can't give you the technicalities of this but it's like that for me.

Last edit : Sun 24th May 2009 00:25
user52922
Reply : Sun 24th May 2009 09:15

I am quite sure you are confused, Patrick, as am I. Whilst agreeing that certain flexes of shafts are more suited to different players, that does not mean that one cannot strike a ball well with a shaft that is supposed to be not suitable.

I do realise that the Scots are experts in the field of shafts as the ones running my country have well and truly shafted us.

Last edit : Mon 25th May 2009 15:59
user52922
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 16:01

i disagree, Chris, the flex of the shaft has no bearing on where the ball is going to go. If the guy is pushing it all the time then he has a swing problem, which can be sorted in minutes.

user204647
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 19:17

Totally agree Christopher

Ignore John's comments as they are truly ridiculous. Anyone saying that the shaft has no bearing on where the ball is going obviously has very limited knowledge of the modern game and equipment.

Shafts are one of the biggest contributors to a persons game today, If i was given a shaft that suited me (stiff)  you could stick on any head (preferably blade style) and i would hit the ball exactly the same. Give me a regular shaft and i would hook the ball terribly. Now i could play with that hook, but why would i want to!!! when i can hit much straighter shots with a stiff shaft. common sense really.

In your argument John we should all play with the same shafts and go for more lessons.

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 19:49

Martin, you are not the player you are claiming to be if you would hook a regular shaft around your neck, In fact you knowledge of the game is pretty weak, taking everything into consideration.

My local Pro at the range I use occasionally is a very fine striker and I asked him one day whether or not my soft regular driver shaft is the cause of my poor driving, as I said that I tend to hit it hard, when perhaps I shouldn't. Of course you can hit it hard he replied and took my driver and creamed it down the end of the range, so that tells me that he had the ability to feel the shaft and swing accordingly, something you have just admitted you are incapable of doing.

To Nick I say, be your own man and stop listening to these idiots in your shop as their knowledge is poor in respect of how this game is played. Equipoment weill never make you a good player as a good player can play with anything.

You mentiohed Gordon Brown, not me, which show you have a little intelligence to have worked it out that he was one of those to whom I was referring. As to David Cameron, he will be as much use as a tortoise with mud flaps. This country is in urgent need of a very right wing government to undo all the rubbish that has been heaped on us these past 11 years. Strange how the Scots are allowed to have a National party but us English are denied the right to this.

user204647
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 20:10

Rubbish as usual John.

You will never understand!!!! CONSISTENCY

Ask your pro or even better print this off and show him. If he is any kind of pro he will try to explain in laymans terms to suit your needs, but i think you would disagree with your own shadow so this might not help.

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 20:13

Martin, the rubbish is coming from you. Now I do realise that you are one amazing golfer and I very much doubt that you have ever blocked or pushed a ball in your life, unlike Tiger Woods, who seems to make a habit of it lately.

The question is, if you did, would you say to yourself that your shaft is too stiff, would you say this to Tiger Woods. NO, of course you wouldn't, as you know it is a load of tripe.

user204647
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 20:20

I never said that John.

I never blame my clubs and of course i block the ball which is down to my swing but you are navigating away from the point because you know you were wrong.

I shall e-mail Tiger and say that he is better using regular shafts because it will be more beneficial to his game.

user52922
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 20:55

It is you who is doing the evading and I am most certainly not wrong in hat I have said., Martin. you and your friends have made it plain that a stiff shaft will produce a push or block and I have disagreed and stated my reasons.

I could use stiff shafts without blocking or pushing but I would lose distance and that is something I cannot afford. Listening to an expert in cluib fitting has me now kitted out wqith a Ping G 10 soft regular shaft and it goes all over the place, right left and centre. I am not blaming the shaft as I have seen other use my driver to great effect.

Perhaps Tiger would welcome your expertise as he certainly needs some driving tuition at the moment.

Working in the industry does not give you knowledge about the golf swing, only about the many different clubs that are on the market for the dedicated to spend their money on.

Make up your mind, Nick, earlier you said consistently and now you are saying the majority.

How on earth you can fit someone up with the right shaft in a shop amazes me.

In the winter, on occasion, I am not allowed a buggy because the course is maybe too wet. So if I wish to play I usually play using my playing partners clubs as I am unable to pull a trolley or carry, but can just about manage to walk round, I play with his clubs which happen to be, Mizuno irons of the blade type with stiff shafts and a Nike driver, I think it is a 599 square thing with a stiff shaft also.

I have no trouble whatsoever using his clubs and I hit them pretty straight but with loss of distance to what I get from my own. Now I am a 72 year old with very little strength left in my body, so either I am a lucky player or my swing is pretty sound.

Whilst I agree that having the right shaft for ones speed of swing is better for one, it is hardly going to make the difference you are attempting to claim.

I used a ten year olds club down the range last year sometime and the shaft was really flexible with a big heavy head, it was a nine iron and I had to really stoop low to swing at the ball, but I hit is perfectly straight and further than my own nine iron.

I can play with anything, can you.

Last edit : Mon 25th May 2009 20:56
user204647
Reply : Mon 25th May 2009 21:16

Chris, the flex of the shaft has no bearing on where the ball is going to go.

Whilst I agree that having the right shaft for ones speed of swing is better for one

Make up your mind John, I think contradiction springs to my mind.

user52922
Reply : Tue 26th May 2009 08:26

You are right of course, Paul, and I apologise to you for getting invloved once again. I just cannot seem to hold back. Perhaps it would be better if I kept away from the forums as I appear to be spoiling it for other members.

user38216
Reply : Tue 26th May 2009 11:25

This is a great site and I love talking about, reading about, watching and playing golf. As I am sure you all do.

Considering that we all have a common interest, i.e. GOLF. Can we lay off the insults.  If a user gives an opinion with which you disagree, then do so. All other users can see both perspectives and therefore there is no further need to go banging on about it.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top