Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Unusual swings

Posted by: user128129 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 12th Apr 2009 01:39 | Last Reply

I have been watching the Masters and it struck me that there were so many different swings adopted by the players. Most are pretty standard but with varying plane angles, but for the likes of Jim Furyk, Kenny Perry, Ben Curtis and Jeev Milka Singh these swings seem almost too unusual to be repeatable or effective. And yet these players do manage to play with great consistancy and score well.

My thoughts are that even if you do not have the "perfect" golf swing it is possible that you can still progress, score well and enjoy your game just as long as the swing is repeatable so you know where and how far the ball will go each time you hit it.

Last edit : Sun 12th Apr 2009 01:40
re: Unusual swings
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 09:34

I would say that each person has their own individual swing.

The main point with the pro's is that when the club makes contact with the ball it's in the perfect position.

Now for most people to make a good swing they need to have lessons so that they can swing the club in the orthodox way.

Another point with the pro's, their short game is the same as everyone else.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 11:08

I loved watching Angel Cabrera yesterday around Amen Corner, especially on the 12th.  I bet if all the pro's played like him they'd be doing sub-3 hour rounds!  On the par 3 he just stumped up, dropped the ball on the tee, took a couple of half-hearted practice swipes, stood up to the ball and just pinged his wedge onto the green - picked his ciggie up and off he went.  I know that that comes from years and years of practice and that his swing must be so grooved, but he really is so far removed form the automoton pro's it's like a breath of fresh (slightly tobacco tinged) air.

user52922
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 11:19

I would love to see him win it, as he is one of my favourite players to watch.

I watched Woods and his group do Amen corner in 45 minutes and that was from the second shot on the 11th. Pathetic pace of play.

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 11:44

Furyk does indeed have a unique swing however it is doing him very well.

I was told yesterday that you can swing any way you want, you just have to be in a certain position within that swing at certain points!

Furyk is a class example of that!

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 12:05

More or less yes Paul

user24437
Reply : Sun 12th Apr 2009 12:51

The other thing I like about Cabrera is the prissy way that the US TV networks desperately try not to show him having a fag!  A man after ny own heart

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top