Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

High Handicap Tour 2009

Posted by: user101687 | Thu 26th Mar 2009 12:10 | Last Reply

Hello playmates and fellow golf addicts,its that time of year again where you dust down the old golf bag and clubs, establish exactly how much weight you've put on over the winter months by trying on that new golf shirt you got for Christmas and promise yourself that you will be fighting fit by the time you go on holiday by playing more golf !!!

Yes the High Handicap Tour for 2009 is about to begin and as two of our founder members (Chris Perry and Lee Miller) now think that they are too good for the likes of me and my fellow hackers and have moved on to join the "elite" i have taken it upon myself to continue the good work that they started last year by organising the first event for this year.

I am proposing Sunday 17th May as our commencement date and the venue Stoke Albany Golf Club, near Market Harborough. I have initially booked 24 places and the cost will be £30 which includes coffee/breakfast roll on arrival and a donation to the prizes which as those of you who attended my soiree' last year were worth winning. As soon as i receive  confirmation from the club for the day the competition will be posted.

The normal rules for these events will apply, i.e. open to all members/non members of Golfshake but only players with handicaps of 24 or above will be eligible for prizes on the day.Due to the success of this tournament priority will be given to Golfshake members if we become over subscribed.

For those new to Golfshake and are wondering if this is for you well let me assure you our main aim is to have fun, meet new friends and generally take the ***s out of each other, oh yes and we do play some golf as well.So make a note in your diary and watch for the HHC2009 caption on the public events.

See you soon,

Daddsy.

re: High Handicap Tour 2009
user26342
Reply : Thu 26th Mar 2009 14:15

Lee,

if your off 22.8 your outside of the 24 limit that Daddst has set?

user24437
Reply : Thu 26th Mar 2009 17:31

Nah, gotta keep it at 24, otherwise you start to get better players in to clean up.  Having attended one of them as a non-competitive player it's a brilliant opportunity to get some experience of competition, the nerves definately show, but everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

user101687
Reply : Thu 26th Mar 2009 19:00

Sorry Lee and Johnny P,we set 24  as the limit for exactly the reasons Tim gave, plus we don't want to drag you down to our level !!!! I'm glad that Mr.Perry is keeping a low profile as well or i might have to remind him and Steve Hancox who is propping up the Premier League(again !!).Now that we're safe hahahaha.

user101687
Reply : Fri 27th Mar 2009 16:35

Drew,Mark as Lee has already mentioned the tour is very much member driven. Most of the players last year were from the Midlands/Birmingham area but obviously if the support is there from other areas a few of the die hards like myself are not adverse to travelling to play and meet new courses/members. I would have to say that to be fair it is unlikely that most would not travel over 2 hours time wise, but i'm open to suggestions, that's what we are all about.

user105353
Reply : Fri 27th Mar 2009 18:03

I think, as was discussed after the Tamworth event, that the H/C at the beginning of the season should enable you to qualify for that season. I thought that Mr Perry should have been able to play in the latter events last year should he have wanted to. As an extension of that; should someone slip back (Lee) they should become eligible again - for that season. I myself qualify as of right at the moment.

T

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 27th Mar 2009 18:21

These were a great way for 24+ handicappers to play in a friendly comp with equals last year.  I know what it is like as a 28 handicapper, who thinks fairways are for parking your trolley on, playing with low handicappers who have putted out in less than it takes you to reach the green.  It can be soul destroying.  These comps meant that everyone could relax in the company of players who would be joining them in the trees and without feeling like they were holding others up. 

I recommend these comps to everyone who qualifies and with the way I'm playing at the moment I may well be joining you in a couple of months!

user101687
Reply : Fri 27th Mar 2009 18:38

Tim you make a fair point and I have to agree with you. But as Chris rightly points out the idea was to enable us lesser mortals to compete on an even playing field. I can't say that I would be happy in turning up to an event just to "make up the numbers".

A lot of us high handicappers are not in the position to play enough rounds to improve our game like Lee and Chris but I can honestly say I don't feel out of place in these comp's and on my day(as like most of us) am capable of putting together a half decent round. More importantly the camaraderie is higher on my list of priorities than actually finishing in the top 3.

user101687
Reply : Fri 27th Mar 2009 18:44

Confirmation of the first event now received and the tournament has been posted Click on Public Events icon for details and to register.

Don't Delay, Register Today !!!!!!!

I really hope you can make it and look forward to renewing the banter.

user115937
Reply : Sat 28th Mar 2009 14:08

Hmm, I'd like to enter this for a laugh....I'll have a think...bit of a trek up from Hampshire though!

BTW - My Handicap is 28, its disappeared off of my profile?  Any ideas, how I get it back up there next to my name?

Cheers

Last edit : Sat 28th Mar 2009 14:17
user72083
Reply : Sun 29th Mar 2009 14:18

hi cliff

thanks for the email i will be attending the comp at leicester on the 17th of may

looking forward to the banter and the craic

THE BANDIT

P.S LET BATTLE COMMENCE  

user101687
Reply : Sun 29th Mar 2009 18:10

Matt, get in touch with Darren head honcho on here and he will sort out your problem and you won't regret the journey up if you can make it.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 00:48

Matt, looks like handicap is back now.

user115937
Reply : Mon 30th Mar 2009 08:51

I set it manually in the end.  Thanks though!

user15767
Reply : Wed 29th Apr 2009 22:31

OK I've put my name down to play.

If you get any other Females enter I'd appreciate being in the same group (if possible)

Sandra

user115937
Reply : Wed 29th Apr 2009 22:43

Hi Cliff

Are you waiting on payment before we are `Approved' to play?  I'll try and get this sorted out in the next few days.  How many players will you need to get the comp going as I see a lot of people are waiting to be approved.

Well done Sandra, I play like a female...does that count?  lol : )

Cheers

Matt

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 07:01

Nice to see these games going ahead.

I too think the handicap limit is too high, I'd go with 19 and above.

If you are ever playing near to me and I'm available I'd love to come and join you guys.  Don't worry I won't bite!!! 

Russ

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 09:41

I would play but it is a little far for me

user115937
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 17:31

Dennis

You can travel up with me if you really want to play...?

Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 17:47

Why cant I find details of the game in the play golf section?

user115937
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 17:49

I always look under GROUPS

Here's the link: http://www.golfshake.com/competition/competitionView.php?ID=4765

but you are right, it should get listed under `Play Golf' as well.

Last edit : Thu 30th Apr 2009 17:52
Reply : Thu 30th Apr 2009 17:55

Many thanks Matt,

This is actually two days after my birthday and the missus was talking about taking me away for the weekend.

I will see what the plans are for that weekend and if I can, I will play. Be good to share a car up there Matt, seems silly to go up there seperately. Either mine or yours but we can talk about that if I go!

user115937
Reply : Fri 15th May 2009 17:59

BUMP 

Right guys/gals, i guess I'll be seeing you on Sunday morning bright and early. 

Where at the club are you all aiming to meet up?.  I hope to be there by 10am but I am travelling up from Hampshire...so if i do get whooped...tiredness will be my excuse : ).  What's the weather going to be like on Sunday in the Midlands? 

See you there.

Matt

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top