Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Argh, Explanar!

Posted by: user24437 | Mon 26th Jan 2009 15:47 | Last Reply

As my normal work is a bit quiet at the moment I helped the pro at the local driving range to plumb in a few bits and pieces this morning, it didn't take long so I bartered a few lessons instead of taking the cash.  The lessons are coming up - he's taken a look at my swing and was amazed, not because of the quality of it but by the fact that I ever manage to hit anything straight!  However, he's just taken delivery of an Explanar so I've just had a quick go on it.  I was surprised how much hard work it was.

Now, as soon as my spine relocates with all the major bones I'll get to work on my swing.

Anyone else had a go on one of these modern day torture machines and did it do any good (apart from thinking it would be a good idea to give up golf)? 

re: Argh, Explanar!
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 15:59

Not had a go, but the principle looks fairly sound.  I'm told they're great for absolute beginners but if you've been playing some time and have an ingrained swing you'll need traction after using one. 

I'd love to see Jim Furyk have a go on one and take bets on whether he or the Explanar would break first!

user52922
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:00

I haven't had a go on one, Tim, but looking at them I think they have possibilities, at least in getting one on the right plane.

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:11

Tim,I have owned one for nearly 2yrs now , it was a Joint venture with my club building partner. I have personally spent about 8 mins on it  but my partner has used it regularly along with allot of mates. It's perfect if you are an OTTop swinger it will soon straighten you out .It was detrimental to my swing as i always swing a tad flat under plane . It will certianly build up forearm strength I just dont get it when there are two planes during the swing. I may be missing something? my parntner has definately benifited from it at least forty yrds since he no long hits a slice.

Last edit : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:28
user24437
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:33

Apparently the proper swing plane intersects with mine at only one point, the bottom.  Apart from that it's all over the place which explains my tendency to slice, when I do get it nearly right I block it.  Not sure it's retrievable at my age, I just don't seem flexible enough but I'll give it a go.

Would love a swing like John, the pro, its so slow and smooth.  He just demonstrated the Explanar with the big heavy driver roller but kept it about an inch clear of the rail all the way round.  On the other hand he's a crap plumber. 

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:52

You are right Jonny there's a bit of weight in the roller , you start at the bottom and build up as it rolls back and through and you will know your swinging something after a couple of minutes. Myself and my partner have lower back issues  i did'nt feel any back problems and he's been fine also. I think its like most things you need a bit of common sense.

Last edit : Mon 26th Jan 2009 17:05
user24437
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 16:54

Ah, thats why my back hurts then - no common sense

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 17:06

No doubt you would have built one by Friday Tim.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 18:53

I've seen them but never been on one of them.

Maybe I should as I'm a bit of an over the top swinger!

Russ

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 19:21

It was designed with your swing in mind Russ.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 19:33

When I get back to work I'll have to book a lesson on one, Hainault Forest have one on the range I believe.

Then maybe I will finally get the feeling of what a proper transistion from my backswing to my downswing feels like.

No matter how hard I try to keep my club on the inside I very rarely manage to draw a ball.

Russ

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 19:46

Its quite easy to replicate the explanar. If you stand upright and put the club say a 5 iron srtraight out infront of you 90* to the floor.Slowly swing around your body keeping the club on that plane and you will notice your wrist rolling over naturally,swing 2'o'clock to 10 o,clock. After you have this under control introduce your spine tilt slowly until your club is swinging close to the ground.

2pts for anyone who can tell me who does this as a practice swing on tour.

user24437
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:01

Paul - don't worry about my back, am normally racked with pain at the best of times anyway but I just smile through it.  Makes a change from the wrist, knee, shoulder and ankle anyway.

Bet I've got some stronger pain killers than you, but as a regular platelet donor I never use any form of analgesia unless I'm on my knees - learn to live with it and learn to love it as I always say.... 

user52922
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:03

Miguel Jimenez

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:04

2 pts JP.

user52922
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:07

That is short for two pints, isn't it Dave.

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:14

Correct John , You know i would'nt insult you with a single!

user52922
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 20:31

That is becasue you know I would let you have the other one. I couldn't drink two guiness'.

user77012
Reply : Mon 26th Jan 2009 22:43

Paul have you checked out the Backlife machine I told you about I'm certian it will help eleviate the pain you have.   www.backlife.com   It's my best friend.

user24437
Reply : Tue 27th Jan 2009 10:28

RESULT!  My back was pretty sore last night when I went to bed, got up this morning and nothing!  No niggling little twinges, nothing.  Not sure if was the quick workout on the Explanar or the heavy doses of Glucosomine and Chondrotin I've been necking in preparation fo Portugal, don't care really.  So have booked my freebie lesson for Thursday so expect to see tumbling scores at the Belfry on Friday (or not, more likely). 

user199058 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 27th Jan 2009 19:12

A crap swing and a HC of 9.6?

Love to see what you would be like if you had a good swing!

user77012
Reply : Wed 28th Jan 2009 17:39

Chris.go see a Chiropractor.

user77012
Reply : Thu 29th Jan 2009 09:47

For a minute there I thought I'd logged onto Golfcrèche .com

user129155
Reply : Thu 29th Jan 2009 14:09

LOL

I tried that exercise and got the back of my hands touching the wall - feels good after doing it for 3 minutes actually!

user24437
Reply : Thu 29th Jan 2009 15:56

Sorry to interupt the witty banter about geriatric exercises (that excercise is a piece of p*ss, Wayne) but have just got back from the Explanar/lesson.  Wierd feeling after swinging the weighted roller round and then hitting a couple of balls, doesn't feel like you have a club.  Bearing in mind that my swing has gone, er, slightly wayward lately the only thing that hurt a the moment is my stomach muscles from twisting in a proper plane.

Interesting to see if I can translate the new swing to the course tomorrow, if I can it should be good.  My 7 iron was going about 20yds further than I would expect (because it was going straight!) and finally seemed to be able to hit my 4 iron properly.  Doubt if I'll be able to get the hang of it that quickly though or if I can keep it going for a whole round.  Will report back later..... 

user26342
Reply : Thu 29th Jan 2009 18:48

Tim,

Just before you tee off tomorrow try picking Chris up & swinging him you'll deffo feel like your not swinging a club then!!

Chris is in for a shock tomorrow, what with you & your explanar, Paul with his tips on his video swings, he doesn't stand a chance.

John.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 30th Jan 2009 08:17

With the way I'm putting at the moment I don't stand a chance anyway!

user105053
Reply : Fri 30th Jan 2009 18:30

Hi guys,just a quick question on the explanar issue,i was always led to believe that the down swing plane should be flatter(ie come from the inside) than the back swing plane assuming this is the case and you have that swing style would using the explanar actually make your swing worse?

user24437
Reply : Sat 31st Jan 2009 00:09

Well, tried it today and managed a 93 at the Belfry.  Got somewhat overconfident after dinking my 3 wood off the first just where I wanted it hugging the big bunker and started off with a 5.  Then it went to pot on the second with 3 scuffed woods, a monster fairway wood and a PW over the back of the green.  Pulled it together sporadically for the rest of the round.

Verdict?  The Explanar worked for me, although I suspect not in the way the manufacturers intended, I felt it much easier to visualise the swing plane.  But I've shortened my backswing, concentrated on keeping the club head facing the right direction, remebered to clear my hip out and slowed the whole thing down.  Apart from feeling as if I've been subjected to some body shots from a heavyweight boxer I think it has got potential..

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top