Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The Belfry - Spring 2009

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 12th Dec 2008 11:59 | Last Reply

I'm looking at arranging a weekend break at The Belfry.

Looking at their website the cost will be around £150.

This includes a round of golf on the Brabazon course and the PGA National, overnight accomadation plus food.

I'm looking at playing this event around the end of April 2009, but this might change depending when their winter rates change to their summer rates.

Russ

re: The Belfry - Spring 2009
user52922
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 12:13

The courses are just not that good IMO. Far better value at many pther places.

user24437
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 12:43

The value is as how you percieve it John.  OK, you may think that the courses aren't up to much (I'd disagree but that's personal preference) but, and it's quite a big but, the Belfry is not like numerous other corporate courses around the country.  It's first and foremost a golfing centre and the atmosphere is golf not business, the rates are only slightly more expensive than many of the big chains and you do (almost) play the courses the pro's play.

It depends what you're after for a weekender, I don't think it's bad value.

user52922
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 13:22

Each to their own, Tim, as you say. I have never liked the course at all. When it was first opened it was like playing in a field. Of course it has grown in since then but none of the holes are that inspiring.

user77012
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 16:14

I'd second that Jonny , to me I use to find the place sruffy but my last two outings there I really enjoyed and since being taken over by the Quinns the courses are always pesented well, I actually enjoy the PGA over the Brab and as for the Derby they should flatten it and build some nice houses.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 16:51

I have spoken with people who have played at The Belfry and not one of them has said a bad word about it.

Both the courses (Brabazon and PGA National) and the hotel/food were excellent.

The reason I fancy playing there is the history (all those Ryder Cups) and it's location.

I had the pleasure of attending a Ryder Cup there and so it would be nice for me to play the course I was watching the professionals play on.

Russ

user23840
Reply : Fri 12th Dec 2008 18:07

I played there this summer. Just the PGA. I have to say, we had a nice day, and the PGA was presented excellently, but I did find it very bland. I cant even remember any of the holes. The Brabazon looked good. Well the 2 famous holes I could see, the 18th and the 10th. Is it good value for £150? seems it.

John how would you spend that £150 on a like for like deal?

user23840
Reply : Mon 15th Dec 2008 21:59

Oooh yes Wayne. I like the look of conway.

Surely there is another good course nearer. And some cheap acomodation.

Last edit : Mon 15th Dec 2008 22:19
user23840
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 08:08

That looks good to.

Was that you waking me up this morning? I'll give you a bell later.

user23840
Reply : Tue 16th Dec 2008 17:41

Wayne. I see the Nefyn and District made it on the top 100

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top