Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Some tea leaf did me over

Posted by: user94589 | Tue 20th May 2008 13:56 | Last Reply

Hi guys and gals,

I just joined and this is my first post on the site and it is not a happy one -  I was out with the missus shopping the other day in Glasgow and some little scrote(s)  stole my entire set of beginner clubs and all the kit I had just bought to get back in the game, I had only played about 3 or 4 rounds with it all!

So if you come across a set of rather old technology but strangely new looking Dunlop Irons / Drivers (can’t remember the models/ makes but were bought in 2000 and never used until recently) in a Blue/black Top Flite bag and Adidas shoes (black/white) / Tommy Hilfiger shirt (blue/grey) / Nike trousers (black), give them a kick for me.

Hopefully the insurance will pay out but I'll be damned if I can find the receipts!

Anyway nice to meet you all!

Happy golfing some time in the next few months when I have cash.

Adam

re: Some tea leaf did me over
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 15:13

Feel for you Adam, though there will be times in the future that you wish they would do it again!

There's a good and bad side to everything though.  Whilst you have lost your full set of custom fitted Ping irons, Callaway FT-i driver, Nike Sasquatch fairway woods, Vokey wedges and Scotty Cameron putter (which the insurance should cover), you had gone off the colour of your bag anyway and were planning change it.  And the shoes were beginning to smell.  And the towel was dirty. 

Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 15:15

Oh, and the little buggers took your Stewart X3 trolley as well......

user50843
Reply : Tue 20th May 2008 22:04

Was'nt me, I won't touch Dunlops they're, erm, not quite too good, get some good ones with the insurance money Adam.....

user80414
Reply : Thu 22nd May 2008 14:23

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the Mad house!

Sorry to hear about your kit, it’s a total nightmare (a friend of my suffered the same way).

I would like to say that while Dunlop Kit isn’t the best, it’s not terrible (another friend of mine used them till he played off of about 15)..... remember you can have the most expensive kit on the market but if you don’t know what you’re doing with it it’s not worth anything.

Regarding shops and internet sites, best thing to do (bit cheeky i know) is to go to one of the bigger superstores American golf, Nevada bob’s etc and try out some new gear, and I mean really try it out, spend a couple of hours in there trying different irons and drivers until you find ones that you like and "fit" you. Then when you have decided, have a scout on the web and you will be able to get a better deal than the shops offer.

Having said that, don’t overlook the second hand market, shops like the ones above usually have a good selection of second hand gear, and let’s face it you can buy a good set of say '05 Taylormades for a fraction of the cost of the '08 model and the difference is negligible (the marketing machine is a powerful thing in golf!)

Most of all enjoy the game.

Danny

Last edit : Thu 22nd May 2008 14:25
Reply : Fri 23rd May 2008 12:13

Adam,

American Golf will price match any UK based supplier on the condition that they have a physical location and are not just web based.  I have a local American Golf attached to a range and, subject to leaving your car keys at the counter, thay are happy for you to try equipment on the range.  I suggest trying to find something similar as you can see what actually happens as opposed to what the computer attached to the launch moitor thinks will happen. 

Also, having just replaced my irons, I suggest trying as many different ones as you can.  Try three or four different types at a time, decide which of those was your favourite and put it on the short list.  Then do the same with the short list until you have your final choice.  If you do all of this at the same place and then buy from them they really won't mind.  I replaced Nike Slingshots and settled on Srixons, but some of my other favourites were Adams A3, Mizuno MX25 and Callaway X20.  It is, however, a very personal decision and will come down to what'feels' good.   

Happy shopping!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top