Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Ben Hogan Apex Irons

Posted by: user23840 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sat 17th May 2008 08:07 | Last Reply

I tried these clubs out at American golf the other day, and they were lovely.

I'm thinking of getting some over the next few weeks, they say the clubs are for the better ball striker. They go from long cavity, to short muscle back. Should that be a worry for me?

Dave, John P, you've both seen alot of my play, what do you think.

The thing is I hate these modern funky clubs, I like the classic look.

Last edit : Sat 17th May 2008 08:08
re: Ben Hogan Apex Irons
user52922
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 09:01

Having clubs that you are comfortable with boosts confidence, which I feel goes a long way to hitting good shots, as one must feel comfortable over the ball.

David is right in what he says, Danny, you are an excellent striker until you are within a hundred yards of the green and that has nothing to do with the clubs.

user24437
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 11:53

I know exactly what you mean about the looks Danny.  As for Ben Hogan kit, if the driver and 5 wood I've got are anything to go by they will be good.  Ben Hogan are owned by Callaway now anyway so it's not as if they are a strange esoteric brand.  Personally, I'd go the whole hog and get some custom builts, no branding, no flash but good solid clubs. 

user24437
Reply : Sat 17th May 2008 23:12

Depends what you're after Steve.  My set have got similar cavity back heads to the Ben Hogans, have got good quality NS Pro shafts and Winwrap grips - built and adjusted specifically for my height and swing all for just under £400 - which included a few tweeks after I bought them (4 iron was shortened and had the lie adjusted).  Built by a man who builds clubs for a living and who is not part time and is not on commission.

Or you could pay a pro at a custom fitting centre £300 more to shoe horn you into the latest set of sparkly Callaways.  As all the component parts are made in the same factories in China you just need to ask yourself if you really want to pay a pro's wages for a day....

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top