Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Fitting new grips

Posted by: user24437 | Wed 27th Feb 2008 11:43 | Last Reply

I've never fitted my own grips but have had a look at various sites and it looks pretty straightforward.  I know there are a few people out there who've done it, so is it as easy as it looks?  Is it worth it compared to just getting my local shop to do it?  Can I customise them to fit my particular hand size (small palms, long fingers) and how do I gauge what size and tapes I would need?

Any views appreciated.

re: Fitting new grips
user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 12:26

I do my own now as my experience tells me that even though the pros make a good job of the grip it always comes up too fat for me, even after I have stressed that I like thin grips beforehand.

I cannot have a new grip on my putter as the original Ping has a nice thin grip and all the new ones are much too thick.

There is a gadget that one sticks on the end of the putter handle to get the ball out of the  hole (when I eventually get it there) but it is not designed for my putter as it is just so loose it would end up at the bopttom of the bag.

user80414
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 14:01

Ive re Gripped a couple of set sand found it to be quite easy to do. And i managed to do an entire set of Irons in about a hour. 

With regard to grips, the best way to get the sizes right is to go to the grip manufacture's website and they will have a comprehensive guide to download. 

Ive always used Lampkin grips as the range they offer seem to cover all sizes of hands.  

user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 15:24

So just doing a putter should be pretty simple then?  Just had a look at the TG video and the guy made it look effortless.

user80414
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 16:30

yep shouldnt be a problem....... quick tip! use solvent like white spirit but dont use hairspray, last time i used hairspray it was far to "tacky" and i was high a a kite after doing a full set of irons :o)

user52922
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 16:59

I use lighter fuel.

user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 17:11

Vodka OK?

user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Feb 2008 19:11

Ah, you mean you take them out of the carry bag first?  I knew I should have read all of the post before trying that.

user80414
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2008 14:47

For thicker Grips, look at the lampkin range. They cover just about every thing that you would need. For Larger hands the Crossline Jumbo green caps are Huge. And well worth a look.

IMO the type of grip is down to personal preference, but hey im often wrong :o)

user11501
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2008 14:49

Stuart,

I have recently purchased grips from the following:-

www.gamolagolf.co.uk

The have most of the oem grips as well as golf pride, lamkin etc. They also stock a cheaper version of the golf pride called Sharpro. You buy the grips and then get your local pro to fit them for a minimal additional cost.

I have these on all my irons and have no complaints whatsoever about the quality or the performance. Even a few of my freinds have regripped their clubs using these grips.

See what you think. 

Regards

Martin 

user80414
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2008 15:20

Ive Got the Sharpro grips on 2 of my wedges and i have no complaints at all with them. They have a nice feel and after 2 seasons have little wear.

Worth a Look if they are cheaper than the Lampkin/golf pride. 

user11501
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2008 21:05

Yes, the grips are not restricted to my irons. I just had my woods gripped as i brought them, so all have golf pride grips on of varying colours. Just bought these as required from my local pro.

On Philip's point on oem grips with new clubs, they are probably the cheapest component of a club, and after deciding I didn't want the TM grip on my Burner driver, preferred the golf pride dual cord for the playability in the wet.

The oem grip that my pro shown me that came off the driver was surprisingly thin compared to the Sharpro or Golf Pride, as were the oem grips that came off my irons when I had them gripped. They just felt a little thin in the hand. 

user24437
Reply : Tue 4th Nov 2008 00:17

Strangely enough I got my irons re-gripped the other day, just boring Lambkin crosslines, didn't have time to try them before the comp on Sunday so a bit of shock.  The guy who did them measured me up and added an extra wrap of tape on standard size grips and my fingers are feeling it now.  Wouldn't have thought it would hae made that much difference but after going up the range this evening I've found that I don't need to grip so hard - not just because they are still pretty sticky (and quite rough - have had to get the moisturiser out!) but mainly the slightly larger diameter.  Will probably have to go and get the woods done now...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top