Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driver

Posted by: user80390 | Tue 22nd Jan 2008 13:25 | Last Reply

Hey all,

I'm looking to add a Driver to my bag, as I've always just used a 3 wood off the tee in the past.

Does anyone have any recommendations for decent drivers for the high handicappers?

Obviously I'll be trying anything before I buy first but a few recommendations might make the process a lot quicker!

TIA

Simon

Last edit : Tue 22nd Jan 2008 13:42
re: Driver
user80414
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2008 13:40

What ever you do try before you buy, and i would recoment that you stay away from the "draw" types as these club mask problems with you stance/swing etc.

What ever club you go for, make sure its conforming! (see post in golf equipment forum)

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2008 14:02

I suggest you check out the reviews in Todays' Golfer.  They run a top ten every month.  It usually includes drivers and they often have a budget range review if you don't want to go mad.  I ended up with their top rated one, the Nike Sumo with the round head but I tried the top five that were in my price range and found that to be the one I preferred. 

You've got it dead right with "try before you buy", but do this at a range as opposed to on a computer simulation.  I also echo what Danny said about getting a draw type.  Better to invest in a lesson. 

user50843
Reply : Tue 22nd Jan 2008 22:35

Simon,

onlinegolf.com are doing the t.m. r7 425 for 99 quid, bargain,me thinks.....

user69191
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 13:09

Simon, try before you is definately essential. I had an illegal Callaway Big Bertha last year (oldish one with a small clubhead) and was dreading changing it but I thought I'd better do it around September / October time to give me time to get used to a legal newer one. At the time I was playing off 25. All I knew was that I wanted one with a 460cc head with a deep face to help forgiveness. I quizzed the pro at my local course and he recommended a Cobra F Speed 10.5 Degree with Regular Aldila NV65 Shaft. If we're all a bit honest with ourselves I think we all have our favourite brands that we lean towards and at the time mine was Callaway/Nike/Ping and had never considered Cobra. Reluctantly, I took the club out onto the course and played a round with it (to be honest I'd made up my mind after the front nine that I had to have it). 2 months after px-ing my old Callaway for it my handicap has come down to 14. I think you can pick these up for around £90 now.

user52922
Reply : Thu 24th Jan 2008 15:08

I would imagine so, Stuart, although I am not bothered one little bit. The whole saga has been conducted disgracefully by both the USGA and the R & A IMO.

user24437
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2008 14:36

I've got a 12.36 kick off so you early birds had better get a clog on

user24437
Reply : Fri 25th Jan 2008 16:44

Sorry, thats for the N v S.  Nital from Golfbreaks gave me that.  Nothing about the Southern Cup - I'll tag along with David if you'll have me, need a bit of coaching from John.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top