Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hello all

Posted by: user79382 | Wed 2nd Jan 2008 15:55 | Last Reply

Another new starter here. Had some lessons in Oct and have been hitting the range as much as possible for practise. I have only been on the course a few times and boy! is that different from the mats.

Was given a set of clubs in Dec and I am finally getting some consistancy on the range although I have to translate this onto the course.

One question, whilst I'm here, although I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Whether using the Driver, 3 wood, 5, or 6 iron, I always seem to hit the same distance when I get a good hit, ie my best effort, which is 120 to 140 yards.

My good strikes are clean and dead straight but I cannot seem to get the required distance with the woods. 

Probably difficult to answer without seeing my grip, swing etc but any answers or tips gratefully accepted.

Cheers and hello again. 

re: Hello all
user48641
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 16:13

welcome aboard Greg

Sorry i really cant help you and explain why thats happnin mate, but theres a few folk on here that can certainly offer some great advice.  Generally woods are harder to hit tho (im sure someone will disagree here lol) Took me 2 years to figure out the grip it and rip it technique isnt worth bothering about lol

If you still struggle perhaps ask the local pro im sure they can definately help. Good luck.

user52922
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 17:22

Hi Greg, do you use the Beverley Park driving range at New Malden? If so then I will be into London on Monday 7th Jan as I have two hospital appointments at St.Georges Hospital.

I would be able to look at your problems from about 3.00 pm if you are interested.

As Alps P said one has to see what you are doing before any help can be offered.

user24437
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 17:31

Greg

welcome to the fold

I really wouldn't worry about the distance thing, I had exactly the same problem when I started.  I really couldn't say what the reason is though, it just happens.  My advice would be to not worry and to keep getting out onto real courses (preferably municipal, they don't tend to mind a bit of fairway ploughing so much, and it's cheaper), swear a lot and it will come eventually.  Don't start by getting into the golfers mindgame with grips and swings, that way lies madness.  I sometimes used to go over the driving range (the only place I wasn't embarrased by my 20 year old clubs) and just do 1/2 swings with every club in the bag.

Mostly the only time I go to a range now is to work off a bit of frustration and not for technique.  I basically get 80 balls in the auto loader and bang the hell out of them in quick succesion.

user48641
Reply : Wed 2nd Jan 2008 21:05

Hey there Tim

I know what you mean about going range and just slogging away, I did that in my first year when i started playing (been about 3 years now) and realised that all I really achieved was making the driving range owner richer lol so now i very rarely go maybe once every 3-4 months if im lucky - its much better to just go and play even 9 holes instead, i kinda think its more realistic thats all plus I get to work on all parts of my game that way...........maybe its just me tho cus I have no control over myself on the range .....that little voice says go on smash it baby !!

Anyway Greg more to the point remember to enjoy it - once you get this golf bug you cant cant rid of it......

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 5th Jan 2008 20:53

Greg I had a similar problem quite a few years ago, 140+ yard 9 iron and every other club went no further.  Thankfully some lessons cured this for me.

Unfortunately I stopped playing until 2 years ago and whilst I don't have the distance issue now I have a terrible slice issue which knocks distance and accuracy off my shots, off for some more lessons!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top