Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Which UK County Has the Best Courses?

Posted by: user88724 | Sat 31st May 2014 07:29 | Last Reply

It's always a pleasure doing my business mail shots to UK golf clubs as it provides me with justified time to look at clubs' web sites and see their beautiful pics.

It always leaves me with the strong impression that golf clubs are one of the few remaining bastions of - actually I'm not quite sure what - the essence of being British; country life; a gentle way of living; sophistication; the chance to be a gentleman? Whatever it is such is a great feeling.

I can't help but notice the increasing trend to incorporate golf clubs into country clubs, spas, hotels and the like. I personally like it. Arguably it provides clubs with cross funding and better ensures their long term survival, as well as better providing for the entire family - golf players and non-players. Do you agree?

This morning I got to thinking: I wonder which U.K. county offers the very best of golf and ancillary recreation?

Ignoring London and Surrey, I am personally extremely impressed with Bedfordshire:

Beadlow Manor Golf & C.C., Aylesbury Vale, Chalgrave Manor, Luton Hoo, Pavenham Park and more.

As a former resident of Northants. I was largely ignorant of those gems not so far away. Sometimes it's only when one hits the internet that one discovers so many unknown treasures.

Which are your hidden gems vis a vis counties bristling with quality?

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 07:30
re: Which UK County Has the Best Courses?
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st May 2014 11:35

I am bias, as a Yorkshire lad. We have everything except an Open Championship venue, but then three are within a couple of hours drive.

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 11:35
user338942
Reply : Sat 31st May 2014 16:49

East Lothian would have a good case with courses such as Muirfield, North Berwick, Gullaine etc Then of course Fife with all the St Andrews courses, Crail, Kingbarns, Scottscraig, Leven.... list goes on.

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 16:49
user23669
Reply : Sat 31st May 2014 22:16

I am unable to have a real opinion other than saying that Dorset has very few great courses. My home club is great as are 2 or 3 others but the rest are fairly pants.

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 22:16
user141494
Reply : Mon 2nd Jun 2014 09:03

Norfolk would be a good shout. Hunstanton, Sheringham, Royal Cromer, Royal West Norfolk, Dunston Hall to name a few. A good mix of styles to choose from. Forget about my home county of Essex, very few quality tracks.

Last edit : Mon 2nd Jun 2014 09:03
user127691
Reply : Tue 3rd Jun 2014 14:35

THe Metroploitan County of Merseyside has a good shout, Royal Liverpool, Hoylake, Wallasey, Bootle, West Lancs, Formby Hall, Hillside, Royal Birkdale. And a mile north of the merseyside border you have Lythem St Annes and St Annes old links.

Obvioulsy depends if you like Links golf and scousers but for what is about 25 miles of English coast line there is a plethora of courses to play.

Last edit : Tue 3rd Jun 2014 14:35
user298481
Reply : Wed 4th Jun 2014 13:12

Why is my home county of Surrey excluded? Because it is the clear winner? Because we are southern softies who dont deserve it?

i demand an explanantion!

Last edit : Wed 4th Jun 2014 13:12

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top