Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

golf partners

Posted by: user557408 | Mon 7th Apr 2014 18:40 | Last Reply

hi all just moved to the cheadle hulme area and looking for people to play golf with if anyone is local to me would be great . thanks chris

re: golf partners
user88724
Reply : Tue 8th Apr 2014 11:30

I can relate to Chris's enquiry. When I returned to golf after four decades absence I discovered that it was no longer the done thing to to forget about the clock; turn up at the course whenever; and meet strangers (strangers are friends one has not yet said 'hello' to) both in the changing room and on the putting green and make up a four ball. (Most everyone then played in a four ball.) And, within a few weeks know quite a lot of members and have made a few friends.

I suppose that largely one no longer sees pegs laden with business attire in changing rooms!

Nowadays, ask to join a two or three ball and expect a rebuff. The same faces play with each other on most outings. Consequently many courses are are often choked with one, two, and three balls and one sometimes is required to book a launch time. I suspect that it would be hopeless to try and persuade most golfers to be friendly, so what is the answer? Possibly on busy courses at weekends only allow four balls out on the course. Single players would then instantly become popular with parties having one or two players short. Another answer would be for clubs to allocate a section of their notice board where players seeking a game could put up a notice containing their 'phone number.

It would be nice to see efforts being made to restore the game to the friendly facility it once was.

Hopefully many Shakers will retort that the members at their clubs are entirely opposite to how I have stated, which would be immensely pleasing and suggest that possibly the less friendly clubs could change.

Last edit : Tue 8th Apr 2014 11:35

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top