Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Competition play

Posted by: user418412 | Mon 17th Mar 2014 17:02 | Last Reply

I've been playing around 3 years and just coming to the end of my 1st year as a course member. Anyone who has read a previous post will know the issues I faced in terms of finding playing partners. For 2014 I am going up to 7 day membership with the hope of playing more with others and maybe in competitions. My HCP has stabilised over the winter and I hope now conditions have improved and I am reaching the end of my winter lessons that I can improve further and get the HCP down a few points. I am however hesitant about playing in competitions? What advice can others offer? I am particularly concerned about not knowing enough about the rules and therefore getting penalised or annoying potential playing partners. Hopefully I'll get used to it and it will take my game to the next level.

re: Competition play
user80078
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2014 17:16

David, your concerns are perfectly understandable and I shared them myself when I started competition play. You have the option of studying the rules to make yourself more confident in their application and of asking partners/opponents when unsure. I would suggest you read the rules and enjoy becoming more knowledgeable of them. Don't let your concerns stop you enjoying the game. Remember, you don't have to go and play competition, you WANT to go and play competition.Enjoy!...

user338942
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2014 22:09

My mentality with comps is that I'm out for a round golf on a Sunday morning. Forget the competition status of the round, enjoy your golf and enjoy your company. If you worry about whether you'll be in contention after a few holes you wont be playing your natural game. By not taking it seriously you can enjoy even your worst rounds

user249902
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2014 08:05

are there any roll ups at your club? turn up for one or a couple, it's a great way to meet other golfers, and it will help when you start playing competitions with strangers.

golf is a game you play with friends, some you haven't met yet

Last edit : Tue 18th Mar 2014 08:06
user356537
Reply : Wed 19th Mar 2014 09:03

David, few players (in fact, very few) have anything like a perfect knowledge of the rules but for club competitions you only really need to know the basics to get by. There are some very good 'quick' guides about - often targeted at juniors - which are excellent. I'm sure I have one somewhere if you would like me to send you one.

user99350
Reply : Thu 20th Mar 2014 13:20

Richard is right and avoid playing with those who think they know all the rules.

user25808
Reply : Fri 21st Mar 2014 18:36

Wouldn't worry to much about the rules as you will soon pick up the basic stuff. If your playing doubles it quite within the rules to ask your partner if your unsure about something. If you really aren't sure just play the ball as it lies and discuss it afterwards.Just enjoy the game

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top