Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hooking golf ball with irons only..

Posted by: user350435 | Mon 17th Mar 2014 10:41 | Last Reply

I used to hook the ball really badly, so much so that it resulted in me losing my ball. Nowadays I still hit my irons right to left but its nowhere near as bad and the ball is 9/10 times in play. I would however like to sort it out.

I'm ok with my wedges its just with the longer irons where i have the tendency to try and thrash at the ball - sometimes i try and imagine i have a wedge in my hand which sometimes works but not always! has anyone got any advice / drills for sorting this out? thanks

re: Hooking golf ball with irons only..
user43763
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2014 16:08

Matt, what did you change to stop hooking the ball badly? because it sounds very symptomatic of an over the top swing with a closed face, however you could have a spot on swing plane and just be closing the face excessively. when you say you hit the ball right to left, do you hit a draw, or does it start 2 yds right and go 12 yds left?

user338942
Reply : Mon 17th Mar 2014 22:05

It could be that you are concentrating on getting the club through the ball and round your body too quickly. Try to think about getting your hand through the ball and let the natural momentum take the club to its finishing position.

Also could be worth checking your alignment. place a club infront of your feet and make sure you making a line to the target. You could find that your right foot is a bit too far back which would promote the hook.

user350435
Reply : Tue 18th Mar 2014 07:36

it sometimes feels more of a hit than a swing with my longer irons, where as with my driver i am full of confidence with it and it feels like a proper swing with a proper follow through, i might take a few practice swings with my driver before every iron shot see if that helps!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top