Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Stag doo suggestions

Posted by: user375014 | Thu 12th Sep 2013 21:31 | Last Reply

Looking at a golfing stag doo next summer and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for a nice golf complex with decent hotel in and around the south east area or near to ?

Not too expensive or anything as we will have a few hackers with us im sure.

Any suggestions ?

re: Golf Stag doo suggestions
user250721
Reply : Thu 12th Sep 2013 22:01

Nick

It really depends if you wanted to stay in a 'Resort' type place or play some golf and head out somewhere for beers?

user417395
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 11:25

i would suggest cornwall, cape cornwall at st just has been taken over and is looking good from there you have mullion and tehidy not too far away hope this helps

user43166
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:09

I've just come back from a weekend away at Old Thorns in Liphook. Great place - great course, nice big hotel, food excellent. There were a few weddings on on the Saturday night which made the place busy - bar stayed open (for hotel guests) until at least 3:30 am when I reluctantly stumbled to my room for a couple of hours kip before the Sunday round.

If you don't feel like staying in the hotel for the evening there is a pub at the entrance to the course or, maybe better for a stag night, I think Guildford is not too far away - you'll have a cracking night out there.

user375014
Reply : Mon 23rd Sep 2013 21:01

cheers guys some good suggestions, i sort of want the whole evening within the hotel so meal and decent bar area would be great. Liphook sounds good i will check that one out for sure

user43166
Reply : Tue 24th Sep 2013 13:43

Old Thorns at Liphook sounds ideal for you then Nick. The evening meal was a carvery - 2 courses - starter and main or main and pudding. We all went for the starter which was basically a self-service salad bar, good though.

We booked through yourgolftravel and got 2 rounds DB&B for around £150. That was for a Sat/Sun - you can get it cheaper if you go midweek. A few of us fancied an additional early round on the Saturday - we went to Hurtmore GC which was really the only club not reserved for members within the vicinity of Old Thorns. Not a brilliant course but good enough for a warm up.

The course at Old Thorns as a good variety of holes. Of particular memory are the 5th - a hugely elevated tee (have a sneaky drive of the whites for the full experience) and, I think, the 15th which comes back parallel to the 5th with an equally elevated green - don't leave it on the top of the green if the pin is on the bottom... very difficult to stop it!!

My only criticism is that the tined the greens not long before we got there but I suppose you run the risk of this anywhere...

Have fun wherever you end up.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top