Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Thoughts on Open attendance ....

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Mon 22nd Jul 2013 21:51 | Last Reply
re: Thoughts on Open attendance ....
user398345
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 22:20

£75 with no concessions, compared to £35 (or £20 for kids) last time there says it all I think!

user40826
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 22:54

Pretty much sums up the reason.

user356537
Reply : Sun 28th Jul 2013 20:39

It's not just £75 per ticket for most of us. If you factor in travel, overnight accommodation and subsistence you're talking a significant amount of money. And, let's be honest, you see far more of the action watching on TV.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 09:50

If, like me you are interested in two things at The Open.

1. The social side and the Tented Village. This is then better attended on practice days when tickets cost £15 - £35.

2. The competition is better viewed on TV so why attend, pay £65 or £75 and can't see most of the days action.

If you do want a 'final day atmosphere' then £65 (ticket bought before May 31st) is not a bad price to pay.

user451055
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 10:14

We normally attend the first day (Thursday) and then watch the rest on TV. It is nice to actually be there for one day as you then appreciate what you see on TV a lot more as you know the course better. Before the cut is great as you can get there at 7am and stay until around 8pm and see masses of golf. It is great value for money.

The only reason we didn't go this year is we are going to California in a few weeks and needed to save pennies.

£75 feels like a lot of money but really it is about £6.25 an hour to watch the best golfers in the world.

The trouble is, I am sure that last year was only around £60 a day. That difference feels quite a lot and once you are in the cost of buying anything is horrendous. Car parking or travel costs on top make it even more. I can understand why people would just watch it on TV. I think they raised the prices too much this year and they need to ease back on the pitch prices for the concession stands so they in turn can cut their prices to the customers. When we do go we always take all the food we need so we only have to fork out for drinks.

user504404
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 11:56

I went to Wentworth this year - £30 for me for the day, park and ride as well - yes food and drink is a rip off.

No way would I pay £75 - hence why I always go to Wentworth each year.

user28838
Reply : Tue 30th Jul 2013 13:05

I went to Lytham last year and can confirm the admission price was £80 per day, so £75 this year was actually a price reduction!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jul 2013 21:49

Wow, surprised at the Sunday price last year!

I think as others have commented for a one off day out then the cost per hour is relatively good. Unfortunately when you factor in traveling, food, drink, multiple tickets etc the cost can soon rack up!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top