Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Hybrid lofts/distance differences

Posted by: user43763 | Mon 18th Mar 2013 13:48 | Last Reply

Looking to improove my longer game and currently have a driver, g20 17* hybrid, (currently 5 wood and 24* howson gbh attacker) 5-sw etc.

Im planning on dropping the 5 wood and replacing it with another hybrid. My question is would i notice any advantage of a 17* 20/21* and a 24* hybrid or are the gaps in loft to small to really consider them effective?

thanks in advance

re: Hybrid lofts/distance differences
user80078
Reply : Mon 18th Mar 2013 14:38

Alun, I use three hybrids 18*, 20* and 22*. The lofts are not particularly significant, but enough for me to know which club I want to use for which shot. Its more about the position/lie in the fairway/rough, the wind and the terrain, rather than a straight question of distance. The 20* is my stock club and gets the most use from fairways, whilst the 22* with its closed face lets me hit a high draw. The 18* I use on longer par 3's from the tee and into a strong wind. I would not be without any of them now and feel I've got most situations covered. I also carry a 3 wood (Mizuno Hot Metal) but use it rarely and hit about 1 in 3 fully successfully. I rely very much on the hybrids. Good luck. Mike.

user16106
Reply : Mon 18th Mar 2013 19:27

Alan, I left all my fairway woods, hybrids, and rescue clubs in the shed until I could hit the mid irons to a good standard ( for me ). Your handicap sugests that you are taking 1.5 strokes on average more than par. In my experience a miss-hit hybrid from 200yds would ussually cost me 2 or 3 shots to recover from. I use up to a 5 iron and can hit it on a good day to a green 180-190yd away. A miss-hit would still leave me 50-60 yds in so a bogie was normal. The odd double will occur but also the odd par will also come along. And this was with a miss-hit. I have much more confidence in my irons now I think Im knocking on the sub 80 door. Weather anyone will answer the door is another matter. I know this method will not appeal to all but it works for me. Best of luck. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user451727
Reply : Tue 19th Mar 2013 16:51

Alun, I use a Maxfli HS 20degree hybrid for my 3 iron and a Mizuno MX fli-hi 23 degree fro my 4 iron. on a good strike I can hit the Maxfli further than my driver. I cannot for the life of me hit a 3 wood or 5 wood off the deck so find these the better option. As Dave points out, it's what works for you that matters. I do find though that if I concentrate on slowing my swing I get a good connection. Good luck in your choice.

user43763
Reply : Wed 20th Mar 2013 13:11

I have no problem hitting either a hybrid or a 3/5/7 wood off a deck or a tee. im just wondering if i get a hybrid with only 3* seperation, considering i usually only hit them on par 5's anyway would there be a noticeable difference in length. e.g. would a 17* only go 10 yds further than a 20*? dave - i wiped my handicap on here cause i just joined a new course and am resubmitting my cards, ive only put 2 in here so far, i have one outstanding which will bring it down to 24 and im planning on playing this weekend to bring it down some more (weather aint been great)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top